Page 19 of 41 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Virtual Willys MB

I see the same things when I am laying out printed wiring boards for projects. Components will end up sitting half-way off the board or traces will start on the board at their proper location and wander off into space at some location beyond the board perimeter.

Almost always, it ends up being something I did wrong, misinterpreted or very commonly, I fat-fingered a key entering a parameter.

Your project is absolutely fascinating!

Quote Originally Posted by 5JeepsAz View Post
    Awesome. It seems like everything matters. Color, definition, fitment.
    Thanks Az!

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    I see the same things when I am laying out printed wiring boards for projects. Components will end up sitting half-way off the board or traces will start on the board at their proper location and wander off into space at some location beyond the board perimeter.

Almost always, it ends up being something I did wrong, misinterpreted or very commonly, I fat-fingered a key entering a parameter.

Your project is absolutely fascinating!
    Thanks Larry, you are right about most of the errors being on the users side. What software do you use for designing your PCB? I used Eagle free edition for a short while. Was working great. They've been purchased by Autodesk and I know that you can design electronics directly in Fusion 360 nowadays, but I don't think it is available in the personal free version of Fusion.

Added some details to the front grill and started a preliminary version of the fenders.

205.JPG 206.jpg 207.jpg

Here are some pictures of the printed parts.

They are not primed yet since I'm not certain these will be the final versions.

208.jpg 209.jpg 210.jpg211.jpg 212.jpg

Will now model the firewall portion of the tub. I have to figure out if it will be printable in one shot for the 1:6 scale or if I need to divide it in two parts.

[QUOTE=bluesblooded;14478]Thanks Az!

Thanks Larry, you are right about most of the errors being on the users side. What software do you use for designing your PCB?

I am not a very accomplished user. I use ExpressSCH for my schematic design and either ExpressPCB or ExpressPCB Plus for the board layout. There are any number of circuit simulators that handle my relatively simple stuff (no microwave or RF designs...)

Making some progress on the modeling side.

Started the firewall side of the tub and the hood. Still a lots of details to add before I start printing.

213.JPG 214.JPG 215.JPG

Looking good. LOVE the mock up with the grille and tires in the same frame. That hood is distinctive. Luck making it have the look. Just be sure to avoid this...
    Last edited by 5JeepsAz; 10-30-2020 at 05:54 PM.

Thanks Az, can you elaborate, I'm not sure what to avoid or what I'm missing.

Haha, I think he is saying he doesn't like the new "look" over the old look. Yours is looking good!

Thanks bmorgil, I thought something was wrong with the hood I did. So no Mahindra for the next project

Something is bugging me proportionally speaking.

Seems to me the front grill is too narrow and too high. I have used a blueprint as a reference image but I think it is wrong.

So I decided to import two images of the front grill. Both were taken from two different videos on Youtube. I tried to stop the video as much as possible in a frontal position dead center, but that is next to impossible, it depends on the angle of the camera.

These are the best two I could produce

This one is taken from a kaiser willys video on how to identify a MB vs a GPW
    fg_front_03.JPG

This is one is taken from a restoration of a M201, which looks a lot like the MB with its 9 slots on the front grill but with additional holes for lights.

fg_front_04.jpg

When I insert them into my software and try to calibrate them as close as possible with my current front grill I get this result

217.JPG 218.JPG

So it proves my feeling about the height and width of my grill.

Since this has an impact on everything that is going down the road from here, do you agree that it looks off and require refactoring?

If so I will use the first picture from kaiserwillys as a reference. Here are a few measurements in mm at 1:10 scale that could become my new reference to work from.

219.JPG

All comments are welcome.

I wished I had someone living close by with a MB, I'd be measuring the heck out of it.