Page 8 of 41 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Virtual Willys MB

Quote Originally Posted by 5JeepsAz View Post
    Well mystery solved. Our jeeps don't fit together because they printed wrong. And we are all replicating green slop paint jobs because shiny green is too shiny. Still the coolest build going. Carry on..
    Check this out, they printed an aluminum manifold that they are actually going to use on an engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUp3oCGZOzk

It's only a matter of time before you can print your parts with perfect fit. You'll still have to replicate the green slop paint job though.

Wow.... That is a game changer!

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    Wow.... That is a game changer!
    All you need is good CAD designer and plenty of cash

This brings intellectual property into focus. So who owns the car design used for printing, not an auto manufacturer? The designer? Okay. Who's responsible for defects or more specifically design flaws? The printer maker? The guy in his garage printing? Who is held responsible if a printed part flies apart on a highway? Okay, so what's the economy of scale? Some company with a big printer that's fast? Okay, so it's probably cheaper to have a plant where card are made. Sort of like now. So... we get rid of the robots and we install a bunch of giant printers? What happens to the robots? Do they work on used cars? Oh I'm soo confused. I think that's why I joined this vintage forum to begin with. I have a relic that only needs real parts. This little printed Jeep is causing an uproar! I applaud your efforts. What's next on your build? We still waiting for supplies?

Quote Originally Posted by 5JeepsAz View Post
    This brings intellectual property into focus. So who owns the car design used for printing, not an auto manufacturer? The designer? Okay. Who's responsible for defects or more specifically design flaws? The printer maker? The guy in his garage printing? Who is held responsible if a printed part flies apart on a highway? Okay, so what's the economy of scale? Some company with a big printer that's fast? Okay, so it's probably cheaper to have a plant where card are made. Sort of like now. So... we get rid of the robots and we install a bunch of giant printers? What happens to the robots? Do they work on used cars? Oh I'm soo confused. I think that's why I joined this vintage forum to begin with. I have a relic that only needs real parts. This little printed Jeep is causing an uproar! I applaud your efforts. What's next on your build? We still waiting for supplies?
    Now that I had a few coffees, let's take these one by one.

Nah just kidding. All valid points, but like the repro tub, they will be made somewhere far, they won't fit and all those concerns are out the window or the hole on the sides of the orignal Willys.

Yesterday I got the replacement parts for the printer that was supposed to fix the printing problems of the green filament. After installing it, it did improve to the point where the failed part was almost successful. It released from the bed and continued printing in mid air. Tried another part and again it got off the bed in the middle of the print. Got mad cleaning the printer and threw the green away. The heck with it.

In the meantime, I tried to sort out the spring design failure when scaled down. Spent many days to finally come to the conclusion that it's probably a software bug. I've contacted the company and support groups, but got nowhere fast. I will have to figure out a way to scale down.

I decided to move forward on the design side. Here's a teaser of what is going on

062.jpg

Springs and shocks completed. They are actually printing as I write this. I need to reprint the frame sides and should be able to install everything on the 1:10 scale this afternoon.

I'm feeling bad about those robots that might be layed off. Maybe we should be proactive and start a support group right now before they join Skynet.

Here are the printed springs

063.jpg

The top most portion is too thin. It's very flimsy where I point with the knife

064.jpg

I've modified this area and merge the first two layers making it twice as thick. But this help me realized that the 1:16 scale is doomed to fail. Printed plastic is not tough enough for small details like these.

Here are the shocks

065.jpg

While I'm printing the frame, I started to look at the front axle design. Then I noticed that there was no way my axle would fit there. The shock is in the way.

066.JPG

I then checked a few pictures and video and realized that my shock is oriented towards the center of the car instead of the back. In this picture we see the shock oriented towards the front bumper.

067.jpg

So back to the drawing board.

Will keep you posted once this snafu is fixed and reprinted.

Fusion 360 is a joy to work with.

This is my original sketch for the shock bracket. A rectangle on the frame positioned at 118mm from the center point.

068.jpg

I double clicked on the dimension and replace it for 125mm

069.jpg

Once this is done, the software redraw everything that happened after the original creation of the feature in the timeline and takes into account that the new position of this rectangle is now 125mm from the center. And here is the result

070.jpg

The bracket is moved towards the bumper, the shock is redrawn with the proper orientation. I can redraw the core of the axle

071.jpg

and extrude to confirm that it clears the shock.

072.jpg

Need to slice these new parts and print them.

Oh man this is really something to see. It just keeps growing!

The nice thing to know is that once you get it right you can save it.

To be fair it takes years to work out the bugs on a new vehicle design, so this is par for the course. We just have a front row seat at your work bench. might be we end up with little metal spring steel pins embedded between connectors to strengthen, not sure what your personal tolerance is for creating better tolerances via utilization of non printed parts. Yup. tape and pins and green slop! The exacto knife for scale is interesting... Some of these parts are going to be fragile, so tiny. Maybe print a clear case and put it on the top shelf under full protection!