Page 36 of 41 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Virtual Willys MB

This is unbelievable man. So great. Well, one day soon we will all see the all electric Willy's!

Quote Originally Posted by 5JeepsAz View Post
    This is unbelievable man. So great. Well, one day soon we will all see the all electric Willy's!
    If I could only print one at full scale!

Here's the completed gearbox

415.jpg 416.jpg 417.JPG 418.JPG

Here's a video of it running

https://youtu.be/rlaF07Awm1c

I had a hard time to design the bevel gear for the rear axle. Gears are way more complicated than I anticipated. Fortunately for me, someone developed an add-on program for my CAD that designs Bevel gears with provided parameters. That was money really well spent.

Here we have the beginning of a functional rear axle. Now I need to attach it to the frame.

IMG_0160.jpg IMG_0161.jpg

Now you have my serious attention. A functional bevel gear rear axle is moving into the future man!

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    Now you have my serious attention. A functional bevel gear rear axle is moving into the future man!
    For me it was the biggest hurdle. Designing bevel gear is way beyond my understanding. I was stuck on this part for two weeks with no solution in sight. I'm very happy to have found a program that did them for me. They are working really nice and smooth. Now I'm all excited to get this thing moving. It will have my total attention these upcoming weeks.

My attention reverts to materials. Lots of torque flowing through those itty bitty splines. Plastic? C'mon, man. Dip em in some metal!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 5JeepsAz View Post
    My attention reverts to materials. Lots of torque flowing through those itty bitty splines. Plastic? C'mon, man. Dip em in some metal!!!
    I agree, they will break. Nothing can be done about that but to buy all metal axles and transfer case. I don't know why but there seems to be a lot of enthusiast that still don't mind reprinting parts as they break them. As for me I see this as another learning experience. My design is inspired by the 3DSETS axle gear design of the Landy I showed a couple of times. They improved upon this design by replacing the single pinion/drive gears by double pinion/gears. I will look into it if it breaks too easily.

Just remember, from an Application Engineering standpoint the gear train needs to be able to handle the maximum torque you can apply, and the horsepower you will apply for a length of time. In other words, how well your gears perform depends on the power you are going to ask them to transmit. so if you are using a big gear reduction it wont take a lot of power. Just remember each time you increase the gear ratio multiplication, the torque goes up equally on the other side of the gear reduction.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    Just remember, from an Application Engineering standpoint the gear train needs to be able to handle the maximum torque you can apply, and the horsepower you will apply for a length of time. In other words, how well your gears perform depends on the power you are going to ask them to transmit. so if you are using a big gear reduction it wont take a lot of power. Just remember each time you increase the gear ratio multiplication, the torque goes up equally on the other side of the gear reduction.
    Thanks bmorgil, I will keep this in mind. So if I understand well, if my actual setup (pinion 10T, Drive 20T) is too fragile, I could make it tougher by increasing the Pinion number of teeth? For example pinion 15T, Drive 20T. But this will also impact the top speed as it should go faster with a smaller reduction ratio right?

Correct BB. No free lunch! For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. However... If you don't have the horsepower to go faster, it wont. So the final effect of "under-powering" for reliability is a longer lasting slower accelerating vehicle.

We must stop now or we will uncover the deep secret of why "Hot Rodders" can't keep their hands off of things and just have to find out if it will go faster and what will break next.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 02-21-2021 at 02:03 PM.