Page 22 of 41 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Virtual Willys MB

And here's two more

261.jpg 262.jpg

Everything moves as it should.

I am highly impressed with the detail and the functionality of the manual wipers and the pop out windshield. It would be near impossible to fab up a tiny hinge at the top of the inner frame. Not a big deal at all, just something to think about.

Thanks GM, I'm not sure I understand what you mean by a tiny hinge at the top of the frame. What would be the purpose?

I think I understand what you mean about the hinge at the top

I really thought that it was pivoting in the middle but I see now that it is hinged at the top and the middle bracket is a mechanism to hold the windshield open.

266.JPG

I will see how I can make this right, thanks GM for pointing this out.

I think I may have a working solution. I will try to clip the windshield over the frame.

I revised the upper frame with a smaller pipe like this

267.JPG

Next I made clip on top of the windshield

268.JPG

Then I needed to cheat and add a part that does not exist on the real MB. I added this bracket to the inner frame that holds the glass.

269.JPG

With this addition, I will be able to pop out the windshield and hold it in place by putting the end of the long bracket hole over a pin that will extend from the bracket seen above

Here's the final look

270.JPG

Will print and test tomorrow.

Never seen the like. Awesome.

That will work just fine.

Wow the hours of work you are putting into this! What a project you have here. I think it appears to be much easier to restore one than create one.

Agreed. It has to be a labor of love.

Thanks Guys, it is indeed a labor of love, but I do not believe it is easier to restore one. Shortly after I started, I decided to try to keep the time I work on the project. So far I spent 174 hours to get to this point and this is conservative as I'm not always writing down my time.

I tested the new windshield and although it works, the movement of the windshield is scratchy. Plastic on plastic is not the best even with a bit of grease, it catches. That is ok because it is not something that will be changed all the time. With a bit of care, it can be positioned any which way possible.

I decided to incorporate a 2mm steel rod instead of the printed one and that works really well. So I have two options available that both work.

273.jpg 271.jpg 272.jpg 274.jpg 275.JPG

Now I will dismantle and paint it.