Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Virtual Willys MB

Saw this variation on your process... using scan of existing vehicle to fashion parts virtually before they get made. Yours is better because Willy's Jeep!

Season 10, Episode 6 Land Cruisin' For a Bruisin' First Aired: June 2, 2020. A devoted father and off-road enthusiast always dreamed of having a perfect classic Land Cruiser, but his focus on family kept him and his '70 FJ off the trail. Now, his wife wants to give back to the man who gave so much. Actors: Chip Foose, Chris Jacobs, Jessi Combs

3D scan is the next big thing. The new smartphones with their multiple cameras can be used to 3D scan, but the result usually requires work to fix scanning problems.

Professional 3D scanners still cost a bundle. So were 3D printers 15 years ago. As price goes down, the quality for consumers level 3D scan will increase. With a 3D Printer and 3D scanner, anyone will be able to print anything without ever touching a CAD software.

The Smithsonian museums has started a couple of years ago to release 3D files of multiple items they own. For instance they digitized Apollo 11 command module.
    https://3d.si.edu/

Wow I wonder if the Command module is as detailed as your MB? I like your MB because it is an assembly of components. It is just like playing with the real thing.

If you were really motivated, you could rebuild every single part of the Command module using their digitized file.

To commemorate the 50th anniversary of the moon landing, Project Egress was put together. Using the Museum digitized files, Makers across the country reproduced all the parts to rebuild the Hatch door. The level of details is insane. They used 3D printing and CNC.

In July 2019, there was an event where they assembled all the parts. Here's a 20 minutes video summarizing the event
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jdF1yVBWdc

They had problems fitting some parts. It's probably because of the project being done by many different Makers with different machine that was not properly tuned to spit out perfect parts.

Then, you sit and think and you realize the level of engineering and craftsmanship that was involved to build a system of interrelated machines that would go to the moon and back when computers where in their infancy and automatization almost non existent. Unbelievable!

That is an amazing video of an amazing feat! Te level of detail is stunning. The small issues are minute in comparison to what they did. I am sure some issues were expected. One solid group of problem solvers putting it together.

My friends, the 1:10 is now assembled. I broke so many parts while assembling, you wouldn't believe it. It was about time I got her completed. Almost. Still have to work the top. It's not fitting.

Here are a bunch of photographs taken this afternoon.

342.JPG 343.jpg 344.jpg 345.jpg 346.jpg
    Last edited by bluesblooded; 12-22-2020 at 04:40 PM.

And finally side by side, the painted prototype and the first edition!

358.jpg

A Merry Christmas to you all!

André

Nice! What a cool project. It turned out excellent.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Andre'