Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Virtual Willys MB

bb, the MB had a Dana model 27 in the rear. It has an outside AXLE TUBE diameter of approx 63.5mm. The front axle is a model 25 and shares the same basic dimensions.The tube is the component pressed into the center section. It is where the U-Bolts go over to hold the axle to the spring. Is this the dimension you are looking for? If so, no your not in the ballpark!

Though it looks cool with that big fat tube!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bmorgil; 09-23-2020 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    bb, the MB had a Dana model 27 in the rear. It has an outside AXLE TUBE diameter of approx 63.5mm. The front axle is a model 25 and shares the same basic dimensions.The tube is the component pressed into the center section. It is where the U-Bolts go over to hold the axle to the spring. Is this the dimension you are looking for? If so, no your not in the ballpark!

Though it looks cool with that big fat tube!
    Thanks Bob, just to be certain, the 63.5mm is the outside diameter of the tube between the two arrows I've added to your picture?

114.jpg

That is quite skinny compared to my fat tube. Looks like I'm heading towards an overall of the springs and whatever came after.

To your knowledge does the Dana 25 for the front axle share the same tube dimension?

Finally where did you get your dimension, is this some place I could refer to when in need of a dimension?

Thanks again

Yes bb the outside diameter of the axle tube where your arrows point, is 63.5mm. Same dimensions on the front 25.

I was at Dana for a long time, what would you like to know about Dana Axles and Driveshafts! I have a few things laying about, however I know that the older models 25,27,30,41 and 44 all have 2 1/2" outside diameter axle tubes. The I.D changed as load requirement changed. Increases in load capacity requirements changes the I.D. and the models. The outside however is 2 1/2" on all the older stuff model 44 and below. On the newer stuff you might find up to 2 7/8" outside. But on the MB 2 1/2".
    Last edited by bmorgil; 09-23-2020 at 11:26 AM.

Yes bb the outside diameter of the axle tube where your arrows point, is 63.5mm.

I was at Dana for a long time, what would you like to know about Dana Axles and Driveshafts! I have a few things laying about, however I know that the older models 25,27,30,41 and 44 all have 2 1/2" outside diameter axle tubes. The I.D changed as load requirement changed. Increases in load capacity requirements changes the I.D. and the models. The outside however is 2 1/2" on all the older stuff model 44 and below.

Wow, I cannot ask for a more accurate source for this. If I have other questions regarding the axle, I'll ask you. Thanks.

Spent a couple of hours changing the spring curvature and axle size.

It is now accurate at 63.5mm

I think it looks better.

115.JPG 116.jpg

Thanks bmorgil for the info, it's truly appreciated.

Now back to printing the new springs and shorter shocks

Looking correct now bb. But I did like the "high performance " look of the 4 inch!
    Last edited by bmorgil; 09-23-2020 at 02:55 PM.

Looking correct now bb. But I did like the "high performance " look of the 4 inch!
    Why not in a pimped version.

My first prototype of the rear axle is ready to print, I think...

117.jpg 118.jpg

It's going to be split in several parts to facilitate printing and installing of a bearing and shaft. It will not be linked to the wheels but the driving shaft will be able to spin.

119.jpg 120.jpg

Should print it tomorrow and see how all the parts fit together.

How "sick" do you want to get? I can send you a dimensional on the end yokes and driveshaft components.

How "sick" do you want to get? I can send you a dimensional on the end yokes and driveshaft components.

I'll take anything you have. Don't know if it will get too small to print, but the more accurate the better. Thanks!

I printed all the parts of the axle and the wheels.

The axle needs some tolerance to be added. The bearing will not fit and the parts do not interlock together well. Modifications are done and a complete reprint of the axle is underway.

The wheels on the other hand looks to be perfect. I don't know how they will fit on the axle, but I believe we are on the right track.

122.jpg 123.jpg

I also modeled the tires.

121.jpg

At this point, I will take a break of modeling and will make sure that everything so far is printed and assembled to confirm the fit, both in 1:10 and 1:6 scale.