Page 18 of 41 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Virtual Willys MB

BB, clearly you are in a unique situation but here is how it goes together for most. You get it to a rolling chassis, engine power train and all. In other words if you could find a way to sit behind the wheel, you could drive it. Then stating in the front with the grill, then fenders then tub and button up the rest.

An oversimplification but that is the way they went down the assembly line. I don't think you will be able to dial in the pedals and what not till you get the tub on. They have to be "adjusted" in a real one all the time to fit just right. Many don't realize the pedal arms are forged and they are malleable to some extent. Slight bending (or reprogramming in your case! ) to get a perfect fit is not uncommon.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    BB, clearly you are in a unique situation but here is how it goes together for most. You get it to a rolling chassis, engine power train and all. In other words if you could find a way to sit behind the wheel, you could drive it. Then stating in the front with the grill, then fenders then tub and button up the rest.

An oversimplification but that is the way they went down the assembly line. I don't think you will be able to dial in the pedals and what not till you get the tub on. They have to be "adjusted" in a real one all the time to fit just right. Many don't realize the pedal arms are forged and they are malleable to some extent. Slight bending (or reprogramming in your case! ) to get a perfect fit is not uncommon.

Thanks BMorgil, that will be the plan. Looking forward to the next step, the front grill.

As a friend on here told me once, not a waste, that's called huge progress! Except the cat.i don't want to detail the entire build thread, but I'm a dog person. Why a cat, man? I mean, couldn't it have been a chuckwalla or something? Jeez. Okay. So for now, what we have now your assembly line is virtual, meaning order is unfixed. If you print a part and it needs to wait, you develop a bin for parts. Then, just like the original guys, when you need a part of for no apparent reason you go to the parts bin and apply the part. If it doesn't fit, you are allowed to mallet or modify it. Either way, the Jeep build continues apace. So I don't detect any flaws in your process. Seems about normal for jeep builds. Good work man!

The cat was the default test print that came with the printer.

I like the concept of the virtual assembly line and the parts bin. I got a smaller nozzle 0.25mm for finer detailed parts and a bigger nozzle 0.8m for faster printing of larger parts. It will be similar to retooling a part of the manufacturing line to get the finer details parts, once I have enough of them, they'll be stored away until they are needed. Then moving to the larger nozzle for mass productions of bigger parts.

If I do get to the point where I purchase a decent second printer, the printers might be dedicated to specific nozzle sizes and jobs.

So interesting the nozzle situation. The other thing about being a one man shop by comparison to the past is that this manufacturing problem would have been referred to a team put together just to resolve that one issue and return with a workaround whereas you get bogged down until it works for you. Also true, dudes set aside projects for months at a time due to waiting on a part, tool, cash, or competent approach, weather, or help. Maybe just keep your eyes on the prize and build in weeks for diversions, celebratory spectacles, and potholes so your completion timelines aren't tied solely to one part of the process. Not that you need any of this from me, just that your willy's jeep build has captured my imagination so I appreciate the chance to comment. This build is awesome!

I'm always happy to read comments from you, bmorgil, gmwillys and everybody who have chimed in so far. You all help me move forward. I see that I'm not the only one excited about this project. It helps me get through the hurdles that seem to be more frequent as I move along.

My obsession about being able to scale it from 1:10 to 1:6 by changing a couple of parameters is driving me nuts.

I started the front grill, not very complicated but so cool to see come alive this signature piece

189.jpg 190.jpg

After every step, I check to make sure it behaves properly when I scale it to 1:6. It did not go so well:

192.jpg

When I'm lucky, it is due to some mishandling of dimensions. Like here

193.jpg

The two highlighted dimensions were the reason it was wrong. An easy fix that only took 10 minutes to sort out.

But other times like with the pedals, I need to rebuild from scratch because it makes no sense whatsoever. My first version would twist and turn in every possible directions. I changed the geometry and basic shapes and I got a version where it was scaling perfectly. But I was not happy with the size and location.

I changed them to the third version, and again they are behaving badly. Here's a list of all the errors that are occurring when I scale to 1:6.

194.jpg

Except for the first one that is related to the tire, all the others are related to the new revision of the pedals. After the body is completed, I will revisit them from scratch and try to figure out where I went wrong.

You can also see in the images things that are scaled properly but out of position: The sphere ends of the shifters, the Spicer logo in the middle of nowhere, the pedals foot rest have turned on themselves 180 degree and the drive shafts are not in their yokes.

Had I decided to go with only one scale, I would saved a bunch of times, but then I would've missed on a great learning experience.

Three dimensional chess. Thunderdome. Swimming in shark infested waters. The answer is always the same. Why did the chicken cross the road? To get to the other side... One foot in front. Of the other!

The 1:6 scale is finally caught up with the 1:10. Here a some pics

195.jpg 196.jpg 197.jpg 198.jpg 199.jpg

And some more with the 1:8 Rover to give a taste of the sizes

204.jpg 200.jpg 201.jpg 202.jpg 203.jpg

Awesome. It seems like everything matters. Color, definition, fitment.