Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Virtual Willys MB

This is a very interesting subject. Modern technology at its finest. Good work!

Are you going to make the steering arm mount on the front cross-member, and the engine mount braces as separate parts?

Quote Originally Posted by TJones View Post
    That is IMPRESSIVE BB, don’t be so hard on yourself as far as being perfect. It is damn near perfect the way it is!!
    You may have created a monster on this site, I probably could come up with 10-12 guys and girls that would pay ya to duplicate their project me of course being the proto type !!!
    That is so Cool and I bet it’s just as cool to be able to build them.
    Thanks TJ, I don't know about creating a monster, but I sure appreciate the positive feedback from everyone. It pushes me to move forward. A supplemental retirement income would never hurt

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    It looks like you have a white primed frame sitting on jackstands in the cleanest garage ever!

This is fantastic!
    And clean fingernails in bonus Thanks LarrBeard

Quote Originally Posted by okiemark View Post
    I think you've got us hooked!
    Thanks Mark

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    Wow man this is cool!
    Thank you bmorgil

Quote Originally Posted by 5JeepsAz View Post
    Awesome awesome awesome
    Thanks 5JeepsAz

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    This is a very interesting subject. Modern technology at its finest. Good work!
    Thanks gmwillys, I will add new modern technology to my arsenal. Just ordered a 3D resin printer. Will talk about it later.

Are you going to make the steering arm mount on the front cross-member, and the engine mount braces as separate parts?
    I have not included the engine brackets yet because they are not located symmetrically. I will add them after the mirroring process is completed.

As for the steering mount, are you referring to this part circled in blue in your picture?

020.jpg

If so this is the first time I notice it. I will have to think about how I will integrate this. Due to its size, I may make it a separate part, but then I'll have to figure out how to install it afterwards.

I've tested my scaling parameters and it looks to be working fine down to a scale of 1:16. Smaller than that gives a load of errors. Going bigger does not seem to be a problem.

here's a picture of the printed parts of the frame scaled at 1:16

Even if I used a resolution of 0.15mm layers, the quality is good, but could be better.

019.jpg

On the good side, the tolerance I added worked just fine, maybe even a bit too loose. I will test ont the larger scale printout a tolerance of 0.075mm instead of 0.1mm

The printer I have is using FDM (Fused Deposition Modelling) technology. This is the most popular 3D printing technology. It's easy to operate. The drawback is the precision. It has too do with the nozzle diameter and thickness of layers. These are great printers, but when you try to print smaller parts, they are a bit limited.

On the other hand, SLA printers are best suited for really small detail printing. They are also limited by the size of parts that can be printed. In comparison, my FDM printer as a bed of roughly 8x8x8 inches. An affordable SLA printer as a printer bed of 5x3x6 inches. It also differs on how it prints. Instead of melting plastic, it uses a liquid resins that reacts to UV. The bed soaks in the resin and an LCD screen sends UV light where the models should be. The resin reacts to UV and hardens at that exact position. The resolution is way better, but the process is slower and dealing with the post processing of resin printed part is a pain in the lower back. Up until today I resisted the urge of getting one, but the lack of fine details of the 1:16 scale convinced me to pull the trigger.
    Last edited by bluesblooded; 09-08-2020 at 08:43 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by bluesblooded View Post
    I have not included the engine brackets yet because they are not located symmetrically. I will add them after the mirroring process is completed.

As for the steering mount, are you referring to this part circled in blue in your picture?

020.jpg

If so this is the first time I notice it. I will have to think about how I will integrate this. Due to its size, I may make it a separate part, but then I'll have to figure out how to install it afterwards.
    Yes that's it, officially the "Steering Bell crank" mount. It is a fairly big piece. Also the Master cylinder mount on the drivers side if you want to hook up the brakes!
    Last edited by bmorgil; 09-08-2020 at 09:06 AM.

Yes that's it, officially the "Steering Bell crank" mount. It is a fairly big piece. Also the Master cylinder mount on the drivers side if you want to hook up the brakes!
    I don't know yet what will be the level of details for mechanical things. I will see how the project evolves.

I wondered how to assemble the smaller scale. I thought that screw would be overkill and too big in comparison. So I decided to make holes the size of the filament and use it as guides to glue the parts together.

021.jpg

I'm happy with the decision, it works great.

Here is the 1:16 scale next to the 1:10

022.jpg

The biggest scale I can get away with is 1:6 if I orient the frame diagonally.

Here you can see the two portions that makes the frame.

023.jpg

The 1:6 scale frame will take over 28 hours to print. You'll get to see the result by the end of the week. I do not print when I sleep. The printer is a fire hazard. The hot end heats plastic at 225 celcius / 437 Farenheit. I prefer to always have an ear or an eye on it

While we wait, I'll start to design the leaf springs. I may also entertain you on all the parametric stuff I've alluded along this thread. It may get boring, but I think is a great feature of Fusion 360 over other software such as Rhino 3D.
    Last edited by bluesblooded; 09-08-2020 at 03:25 PM. Reason: yet another typo

A little history lesson from the archive of near useless information. The steering bell crank on the MB and Ford GPW were not mounted to the frame cross member like the 2A on up. It was mounted directly to the axle tube. It was changed after the war due to brake steering issues. I. E. Slam on the brakes, and the Jeep would cut hard due the shift in the suspension. It was the only real safety flaw of the design, but being that the whole works was designed and built in a matter of weeks, not too shabby.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 09-08-2020 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    A little history lesson from the archive of near useless information. The steering bell crank on the MB and Ford GPW were not mounted to the frame cross member like the 2A on up. It was mounted directly to the axle tube. It was changed after the war due to brake steering issues. I. E. Slam on the brakes, and the Jeep would cut hard due the shift in the suspension. It was the only real safety flaw of the design, but being that the whole works was designed and built in a matter of weeks, not too shabby.
    Thanks gmwillys for the history lesson. Keep them coming, I love history.

So the steering bell crank would be mounted on this post on the right side?

024.jpg

You are correct. The stud is fairly close to being centered on the axle, with the pumpkin, or ring and pinion gear housing being on the passenger side. The picture is shown from the front looking rearward.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 09-08-2020 at 09:14 PM.

Level of detail

I absolutely love this thing, even with little to no detail. On the other hand, this print thing you do allows for exquisite detail. Interested in whereabout you end up on detail/functions.

Quote Originally Posted by 5JeepsAz View Post
    I absolutely love this thing, even with little to no detail. On the other hand, this print thing you do allows for exquisite detail. Interested in whereabout you end up on detail/functions.
    I meant the level of details of mechanical parts that are not visible like the master cylinder and hooking the brakes. As far as detail of the exterior, I hope to add as much as possible.
    Last edited by bluesblooded; 09-08-2020 at 10:27 PM.