Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Virtual Willys MB

bmorgil, would you happen to know the size of the sphere end of the front axle? I am eyeballing it at twice the size of the axle so I was going for a 5in diameter sphere. Thanks!

It's about 6" on the max. depending on where you are measuring.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    It's about 6" on the max. depending on where you are measuring.
    Thank you bmorgil, very helpful.

Made some progress on the front axle.

148.JPG 149.JPG 150.jpg 151.jpg

Can't wait to see if the wheels will spin and turn. The angle of turn is quite low. Don't know if that is the case with the real ones, but this one won't turn on a dime

I tested a new filament today. its the ecotough military green. I printed the 1:6 scale wheels with it and is going to be my filament of choice when the design is completed.

The color is a bit lighter then the primer, but looks great. The low sheen is also perfect for my purpose and the best part, no paint job.

152.jpg

I ordered 5 more spools while they have supplies. That company is known to change there product line and colors with what sells. This may be the only spools I ever get. Doing a last test print to be certain and then I'm back on the cheap stuff that will be painted until the final design.

Well if you have a way to lay it out, the advertised turning radius was 18 feet.

I would think "Olive Drab Green" would be one of those colors they would have a lot of!

It is very similar to putting one together for real, this project of yours. Just a lot harder! I cant even get my printer to work.

Thanks bmorgil, I searched online for a turning radius calculator

They say you divide the wheelbase by the sin of the angle of steer

153.jpg

I can steer 27 degree before I hit anything

80 / (27 sin) =
    80/.453=
    176 inches or 14.6 feet.

So I have more radius than I thought

There is plenty of so called "olive drab" but most of them are way too green and are too glossy. This is one is not the perfect shade of Olive drab, but at least it's almost mat.

The turning radius was set with a stop bolt, based on how much angle the Universal Joint could take. You are definitely in the ball park. If you had Bendix joints the max angle is 23 deg.. If you had Rzeppa joints it was 29 deg and Spicer's were 27 1/2 deg.. So you have a MB, it would have had Bendix. However it could have had any of the 3. All were available, all will work and there was a war on. "Never say Willys Never"

bmorgil, this is fascinating information. I'm learning so much, I love it. Let's go with Bendix joints and 23 deg. Thanks!

The front axle is now complete.

The wheels steer and turn. Very happy, it worked on the first try.

Here's a bunch of pictures of the parts and the assembly.

154.jpg 155.jpg 156.jpg 157.jpg 158.jpg