Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Virtual Willys MB

So the steering wheel will move left and right as the springs flex. That would be interesting. Probably not to bad at 35 mph, a handful at 50! Here is a picture of the MB cross member from the KW catalog. So no need to make the monster bell crank mount. Good thing gm is here!
    Attached Images Attached Images

The field fix was to add a helper spring to the driver's side front leaf spring pack. The fix was known as a side torque reaction kit This helped to reduce the deflection of the spring during heavy braking. This is also used to help reduce the amount of "Willys lean" on later versions, because every Willys leans towards the driver's side over time.

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/vehicle...s-41-45-mb-gpw

Thanks gmwillys for the precision about the torque reaction spring.

This would go right under the driver side front spring like on this picture? (Does arrow point at it?)

025.jpg

These are the supports generated by the software to be able to not print in thin air.

026.jpg

I cut them carefully away with an x-acto knife.

027.jpg

and remove them

028.jpg

Here is the first portion of the 1:6 scale frame. It is humongous.

029.jpg

Please let me know if I'm boring you with too many details. I like to give as much information as possible. I've learned so many things because of forums like this, it's my way of giving back to others.

Oh and a quick update about the resin printer, well I cancelled it... Too many health risks.

BB is the scrap you trim off recyclable and can you reuse it or is it just that SCRAP??

BB, please keep the information coming. We tend to be a little old fashioned in our thoughts, but it is good to learn something new everyday. This is definitely outside of our wheel house, but absolutely interesting.

What would be the associated costs of printing a frame thus far? The machine doesn't seem to use a whole lot of power from what little I know about them, but maybe over the several hours it takes, it could add up.

It will really be interesting to see how the body turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by TJones View Post
    BB is the scrap you trim off recyclable and can you reuse it or is it just that SCRAP??
    Hey TJ, it depends on the material used.

In this case it's PLA (Polyactic acid) basically, it's made from corns starch. It is compostable. Apparently it's recyclable as well, but my city has no clue what to do with it. There is some machine that can melt it again and make it into filament, but the quality is not there yet.

There are a few people who collect the scrap and recycle it somehow.

The second most popular is PETG which is recyclable, but again, my city want nothing to do with it.

There is other material made of ABS, Nylon, TPU very flexible, but never dealt with them so I do not know.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    BB, please keep the information coming. We tend to be a little old fashioned in our thoughts, but it is good to learn something new everyday. This is definitely outside of our wheel house, but absolutely interesting.

What would be the associated costs of printing a frame thus far? The machine doesn't seem to use a whole lot of power from what little I know about them, but maybe over the several hours it takes, it could add up.

It will really be interesting to see how the body turns out.
    Thanks gmwillys, I will keep the info coming.

The cost of printing is less than expected when I started. For instance a roll of 2.2lbs will vary between 25$ and 50$. Printing the frame in 1:10 scale is less than 2$ and I'm talking CAD, so pennies for you guys in the US

Where the cost goes up is the printer itself. You can buy one for around 300$ but you will need to upgrade it and fiddle with it. On the other hand, if like me, you want something plug and play, you will need to spend 4 times as much. To me it's totally worth it. I believe I will be able to get at least 5 years of printing with minimal maintenance.

As for power I did not see any significant change in my utility bill. But it does use heat to melt the plastic and keep the bed hot. But it runs on a 24v power supply. Not a concern for me.

Today was not productive. I spent many hours to work on the spring but it will not work. I will quit and sleep on it maybe I'll get a clue.

But it is a great example of the process involved and what I mean by parametric model and why it is important.

Basically the spring is a the lower part of multiple circles. So I start by drawing several concentric circles and give them a diameter of 2mm bigger than the nearest one.

030.jpg

here's a zoomed in picture of the lower part. you can see I added vertical lines that will define the portion of the circle I will use to make the spring

031.jpg

I can then select each portion I want to extrude to make the spring out of.

032.JPG

I give it a thickness of 3mm and voilą the beginning of the spring

033.JPG

I add some width to the bars.

034.JPG

So far so good. If in time I find that the circles are too small or the vertical lines not well positioned, all I have to do is double click on the dimension, type in the new value and all the adjustment are made. It's that simple.
    Last edited by bluesblooded; 09-09-2020 at 05:48 PM. Reason: replaced thickness for width

I then place the spring where I want it to be relative to the frame. To do this I use a rigid joint and align the circle of the frame spring bracket and the hole in the spring.

035.JPG

In my case I want to be able to change the scale of the model with the simple change of a value. Right now I'm working in a 1:10 scale. If I want to do a 1:16 then without the parametric feature, I would have to revise every dimension in every sketch I made.

Thus far, I have 47 sketches, over 600 dimensions and a number of operations like extrusions. Remember in my last post, I made a solid spring by extruding my sketch model by 3mm. So after changing all the dimensions, I would need to change all the operations value accordingly. Needless to say that is crazy.

The beauty of a parametric CAD software is that you can assign value to some parameters and replace them on a whim.

Here is a window of some of the parameters I defined and use. The most important one is the one called SF for "Scale Factor". I also defined the value to 1.

036.jpg

So whenever I enter a dimension in any sketch I multiply this dimension by sf.

Instead of giving a dimension for the smaller spring diameter of 356mm, I type in 356*sf. So the software checks the value of SF being 1 and gives the result 356*1 = 356mm

So to scale the design, all I need to do is go in my parameter window, locate the SF parameter and change the value from 1 to whatever. So to get a 1:16 scale, I change the value to 0.625. To get a 1:6 scale, I change the value to 1.67.

In the picture below, you can see the parameter set to 0.625. All I do then is click OK, the software apply this new SF value to wherever it was used and compute the size of the new model.

038.jpg

I start testing with a 2 SF value, which will double the size of the parts. The design scales just fine. The picture below is scale to twice as big as the original. The only way ou can tell it apart from the previous picture is that the holes are smaller. Because I did not apply the SF factor to all the holes I have in the design. The rationale behind this decision is that screws are not available in every imaginable size. A 2mm screw hole scale to 1:6 (SF=1.67) gives a hole of 3.34mm. Impossible to find. If you check back the previous parameter windows, you will find different parameter I use to determine holes value. So when I scale to a different size, I can choose to use different screw sizes by changing the parameter accordingly.

037.JPG

My next test, is to scale it smaller. So I change the SF value to 0.625 and check if the design behaves as it should.

039.JPG

As you can see, it does not. Somehow, the spring is separated in two parts and the upper most spring portion is curved in the wrong direction.

I've been struggling to fix this all day and have not found the solution yet. I did two different sketching strategies. This is one is the closest, the first one was way worst. It would behave badly no matter if I scaled up or down. Hopefully I'll find a fix tomorrow.
    Last edited by bluesblooded; 09-09-2020 at 05:51 PM.

Seems like a highly productive couple of days. Heck yes keep posting! That scale factor explanation was supremo. And, what about the drive train. I know, I know . We're still at frame. I'll wait patiently. Meantime, how you design those springs was highly interesting.