Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New guy with a '59 CJ5

New guy with a '59 CJ5

New guy to the forum. This is a great site. I've got a '59 CJ5 that's been in our family since my grandfather bought it new. It was his hunting rig and my mom drove it in high school. I learned to drive a stick in this jeep when I was a kid in the early 70's. It's been sitting in the barn for the past 20 yrs, rarely getting driven. I'm now it's caretaker. My plan is to bring it back to it's former glory. I'm currently getting it disassembled so I can remove the tub. It's got a few rust spots that need to be addressed. I just built a 30x40 shop so I now have a decent place to work. I'll try to update as I go. Here are a few pics. The first in from the late 70's and the second in it's current state. Not sure why the pic is sideways.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome Cajun98!

Great looking early 5! I love the custom paint on the hood from the '70s.

We look forward to seeing more of your project.

Thanks, GM. My grandfather had my mom's name painted on each side of the hood. My little brother repainted it back in high school but I'm gonna go back with the original look.

Very good. I would have suggested that the original custom names be put restored, in my opinion. The fact that your Grandfather bought the 5 new, makes it a great family time capsule.

Wow a couple of you guy's on here with a family heirloom, passed down within the family since new. It is a rare thing to know the history of your project. Having it in the family and the pictures to prove it... priceless!

What a great start to a restore. It's in great shape. The hair in the 70's photo reminds me of.... when I had hair on top my head!

It looks like a great starting place for a project - and it has one of the critical parts for a Jeep already in place; a front seat dawg!

Dawgs Luv Jeeps!!

Something about dog's and Jeeps!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for all the kind words. It's neat to work on this jeep, as it's been basically untouched in the past 40 years, other than a fuel pump and fuel tank. The actual mileage is less than 10,000 miles and a lot of that mileage was from being towed on hunting trips to Colorado. And yes, dogs definitely go with the ride!! GM, I'm planning on having mom's name repainted on the hood for that added touch!

I'd rather be with my dogs than around people.
    "If you feed a dog it won't to eat you, feed people and you still need to watch your back"
    "Options are for girls"

Good looking Jeep. You'll have a lot less work than I did on mine. It was left out to rust and destroyed the body.