Thread: V6 1967 CJ5 Ignition or coil problem

V6 1967 CJ5 Ignition or coil problem

Hi Guys:

Its the old retired dealer again. In the finishing stages of a new glass body onto my 67 V6 CJ. I took the Painless wiring out before doing the body and put it back in. I labeled my wires and I also have the Painless book too. No spark. Not even a sputter. New coil. New battery. Coil's hot side is hot. Ground side is grounded well. I put a new spark plug wired to #1 on a good ground and it doesn't spark. I was always good in my parts dept but not so good in my service dept as you can tell. What am I missing?

Tim Gardner
    Retired 70's Jeep Dealer
    Florida

Tim, when you say the ground side is grounded well, what connection terminal on the coil are you speaking about? Do you mean the Neg post of the coil is connected to ground and the Pos is hooked to +12 volts?

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    Tim, when you say the ground side is grounded well, what connection terminal on the coil are you speaking about? Do you mean the Neg post of the coil is connected to ground and the Pos is hooked to +12 volts?
    Pos side of the coil is coming from the ballast resistor. The NEG side comes from the harness going to the batt neg and also bolted to the block and frame.

I don't know the test procedure but I put my 12v light into the coil wire to the distributor to see if it would light up when the key was on and it didn't.

Tim something not right there. The negative side or terminal on the coil needs to go to the points or ignition module. If it is grounded there will be no spark. If you have points, put an Ohm meter from the negative terminal to ground. With the points closed it should read 0 or close to it. With the points open it should read infinite resistance. The points provide the "ground" on the negative terminal. If it is electronic ignition, the negative to the coil is provided by the ignition module. The negative wire should come from the ignition module.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 10-03-2020 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    Tim something not right there. The negative side or terminal on the coil needs to go to the points or ignition module. If it is grounded there will be no spark. If you have points, put an Ohm meter from the negative terminal to ground. With the points closed it should read 0 or close to it. With the points open it should read infinite resistance. The points provide the "ground" on the negative terminal. If it is electronic ignition, the negative to the coil is provided by the ignition module. The negative wire should come from the ignition module.
    It started. 3 years with no body on it so I guess I got lucky. It had the neg wire to the points but also a neg wire to the frame. I removed the frame wire and it started right up. I sure appreciate the help.

Awesome Tim! Share some pictures. It is always great to hear them fire up again.