Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New member here with a new to me Willys Jeep

If you need another opinion, I "third" the notion. Willys-Overland in Toledo was a huge Jeep parts dealer, but he had to get out of the pieces and parts business just as I was starting on the '48 Project. I bought a bunch of stuff from him and I'm not sure whatever happened to all the warehouses and yards of stuff he had collected.

BMorgil and I looked his display over closely. If I remember correctly, he has put together set of gauge parts and chassis jigs that he uses to move holes to the right places.

You will pay for his services, but things will come a lot closer to fitting if you get them from him.

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    If you need another opinion, I "third" the notion. Willys-Overland in Toledo was a huge Jeep parts dealer, but he had to get out of the pieces and parts business just as I was starting on the '48 Project. I bought a bunch of stuff from him and I'm not sure whatever happened to all the warehouses and yards of stuff he had collected.

BMorgil and I looked his display over closely. If I remember correctly, he has put together set of gauge parts and chassis jigs that he uses to move holes to the right places.

You will pay for his services, but things will come a lot closer to fitting if you get them from him.
    Jay REALLY likes Cash, I worked a deal with him and took a trailer and cash. He is only a couple hours from me in Akron so it worked out nice.
    The tub was from the Philippines as ALL the rest are but like Larry stated he puts them on a jig and welds up all the misplaced mounting holes and re-drills them where they are supposed to be and I'm telling you it fit perfect.
    I had him leave out the miscl. holes (brake pedal,clutch pedal and throttle cable just to name a few) bc I was going to cut it up and change a lot of things to my vision of what I wanted to end up with.
    All and All it came out pretty close to what I imagined it would.

Thank you for the tips... I made the call yesterday, and he sent me the video. I was impressed with how much rework had to be done, just to make a replacement body a bolt on frame operation. I think it is worth the extra cost to have all of that already done prior to having it shipped. He guarantees it will be right, or he will do what is required to make it right. That'll take a load of work off of the body shop to be able to do that. He said there still may be defects to fix, but at least the body will fit the frame. I've already bought gallons of the correct paint. I talked to the body shop, and he was unaware of the fitment issues of those bodies as they come.

Are you building a completely stock and original Jeep Bob?
    Last edited by TJones; 03-23-2021 at 03:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TJones View Post
    Are you building a completely stock and original Jeep Bob?
    That was the plan. My father served in WWII, and Korea. I was an Army brat after he became a drill sergeant, and grew up on base amongst many military vehicles. I guess it made an impression upon a much younger me. That experience made me what I am today...

Army brats of recruit trainers were not supposed to hang out with recruits army brats, so I became a bookworm. I was allowed to progress in my education at whatever pace I could, so I rapidly progressed through normal academics and into advanced education. My first doctorate was in physics, my second in aerospace engineering. By that time, my "experiments" had drawn the attention of the NSA, and they arranged for me to sign up for the Directed Energy Technology program in the DOD. I had been "exploding" discarded cast iron stoves with a high powered laser on base. Yea, I was the one tasked to put orbital lasers into space, prior to President Reagan going into office. From there, it was on to the Air Forces "classified space program".

The X-37 (Not the X-37B drone) was our first manned space plane. Hard to find information on that, because it was classisfied. Redacted blueprints were made available to NASA, which resulted in the Space Shuttle program. Their primary issue was related to turning a space plane into a space truck, to haul heavy cargo and larger crews into space. It had been designed as a spy plane. one that flew in low earth orbit, so kinda hard to shoot down. It carried a 3 man crew and a spy plane camera system only. To accomplish that, they attached it to a couple of solid rocket boosters, and an external fuel tank. It had not been designed for those additional stresses. I was there when Challenger exploded. NASA was told that the crew survived, and to deploy a rescue mission. They ignored that advice, thinking the crew compartment had been destroyed. It had been designed to survive the space plane being hit by a missile, so it had been seperated by the explosion. It survived the explosion, and spashdown. The crew were still suited up and strapped into their seats. They had survived, and awaited rescue, until they ran out of of breathable air. That was never revealed to the public. It would have made things worst for the news to break that they had been allowed to die because NASA had ignored the advice to mount a rescue mission!

Bob

I wanted to add, the above was just a skeleton of information to show a part of my background of experience. I will not delve deeper into the structure of my work with the DOD, as it is not pertinent to this project, and could likely compromise national security if I revealed more details of how these classified programs are structured in the command chain...
    Last edited by BobBoyce; 03-23-2021 at 07:47 AM.

Bob,

Thank you for your service to the Nation. Your unsung efforts have made a difference, even though nobody knows about it being top secret.

Wow Bob, I don't know what to say. Amazing man. What a life you are having! Man I would love to sit around the campfire with some stories you must have. You are one highly educated individual Bob, this country is very lucky to have you!

I cant wait to watch you build the Jeep. I think it will be a lot of fun and a giant step back in time, from where you have been "Rocket Man"!

Bob
    Last edited by bmorgil; 03-23-2021 at 07:44 AM.

WOW is all I can say myself, and THANK YOU for your service Bob to keep our country Free and Safe...........
    I am like Bob excited to watch your build!!!

Enjoyed reading about your background but we can't talk about that. BUT, I am also enjoying your build. It is really moving along smoothly!