Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New member here with a new to me Willys Jeep

Whatever it take to get the job done!

The floor doesn't look too bad at all. The floor pans sold by KW are good, and American made. I've used one on an A1 just like yours, and was very happy with the fit and quality.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry guys, I'm in Florida. Been down here for weeks working on another project. Have had no updates other than lots of parts arrived at the body shop and I went by there to inventory everything before heading to Florida. The body manufacturer has taken over the damage claim with the shipper, so no news yet on how they want it handled. The more I read about the M38A1, the more rare they seem to be found in good condition as compared to the CJs. The rear of the frame has had a hitch welded to it, and I want it to be original. It has some damage there, where holes were ripped on the right side, and the hitch was welded on. I'm thinking of replacing that section, and the V shaped brace behind it that is welded to both frame rails. It is bent a bit, but not too badly. I think that welded on hitch is going to make it difficult to seperate the two pieces from one another, as it was welded to both securely. I purchased 100 large solar panels to build some solar arrays at a couple of locations, still waiting for them to arrive at the warehouse so I can load them on the trailer and haul them back home. 6,000 lbs is a lot of weight in solar panels to haul!

BobBoyce,

No problem on the updates, we completely understand.

The hitch will not be all that difficult to remove. A 4 1/2" grinder with some cut off wheels will make short work of cutting through the welds that hold the hitch, then you'll be able to remove the V brace and replace it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bob, a ton of things were welded together on mine. Some pretty unbelievable hacking. I had great success as gm recommends with cut off wheels and careful separation. My bumper was welded on and the pintle was welded to it. After a day with cut off wheels and a grinder, and I got it back to a pretty good facsimile of the original.

OK, thank you guys. I guess I need to talk with my body shop guy and give him the news that we will be restoring that original body. The CJ3B project will just have to wait for a later date, if things don't get too wild in the very near future.

My daily intel reports have really skyrocketed in depth and number as of late, with lots of bad news from within and without the US, all pointing to foreign and domestic threats wanting to target the US while we are fractured from within. I really hope and pray that our veterans and active military are as prepared as I hope they are. I know that I am, when I am at my base of operations. Being many hundreds of miles away from there leaves me feeling more vulnerable, but being far away from DC comforts me more. I cannot stand politics, which is why I refused to relocate to DC when asked, multiple times.

These are some uncertain times to say the least, and you are right. There are lots of threats that are just waiting on their moment to strike while we are not paying attention.

If your body shop needs any assistance, I would be glad to help out in any way. The tub is pretty basic in design, there are just a ton of spot welds that are in random places, for no apparent reason.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    These are some uncertain times to say the least, and you are right. There are lots of threats that are just waiting on their moment to strike while we are not paying attention.

If your body shop needs any assistance, I would be glad to help out in any way. The tub is pretty basic in design, there are just a ton of spot welds that are in random places, for no apparent reason.
    I gave the body shop the news about the restoration of the original M38A1 body. I also rxd word from Omix, my damage claim for the CJ3B body was denied. I will hire a lawyer and go after the shipper and truck driver. They are going to pay big time for making the decision to ship that body on its side. I am also going to return all of the other parts purchased from Omix. I spent a few thousand $ on new parts that I will no longer need since I will not be using that damaged CJ3B body. I will not do any future business with them.

I don't blame you at all. These shippers take drop shipping to a new level. At work we had a $2,000 fuel transfer pump go down. The replacement showed up the next day as advertised, but must have been dumped out of an airplane at 10,000 feet. The replacement for the replacement came in and it was extra wrapped with bubble wrap and paper.

The body parts and tub kits take a beating getting here from the Philippines, and 99% of them come from there. The crate they pack them in leaves a lot to be desired. They start out well with a small angle iron frame. Unfortunately they build the rest out of paper thin wood. This is the main reason to be careful where you buy it from. I purchased mine from KW. On arrival things had come loose and banged up the inside of the tub. Something had been dropped on the paper thin crate and broke through to damage the cowl. I contacted KW and they were immediately there and made it right. I have heard of others having to do extensive repair work. Mine was not too bad.

I was lucky. They had called from KW a few days before I got the body kit and told me to inspect it for damage before I accepted it. Well I didn't inspect it completely, but there was not any visible damage to any of the crating and what I could see looked fine. As it turned out there was no damage whatsoever from the shipping, but the components themselves were a little short of perfectly manufactured.