Thread: Frame treatment?

Frame treatment?

What is the best way to do the frame? Sand blast? Dip? Paint? Bed liner? I have a buddy telling me to have it galvanized but I am thinking it would be more common if it was a good idea.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

You will get a lot of opinions here and they are all good. gmwillys is known for his ability to restore them with abrasive wheels. I did one long ago with wire wheels, I did not have the the tools gm used. It was a long dirty job. I had mine Sand Blasted by an Industrial Painter and I loved it. I have had them dipped and I feel there is no better way than that, especially if they are rusty. Dipping it gets it all, and gets everywhere. Having it dip coated after dip striping is the just as good as you can do.

It really depends on the condition and your check book. If the parts aren't to bad any way will work well. The more rusty they are the more work it will take unless it is dipped or sand blasted with good high volume blasting equipment. The thing I did like about the blasted frame was the surface it left behind. It was rough enough that it took the heavy coats of paint very well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like to use the nylon abrasive brushes sold by Harbor Freight. They will clean the paint off down to bare metal without a huge amount of effort, just some time. The brushes work well on frames, differentials, and sheet metal. They are also cheap at $3.99 or so a piece, with an average of 3 used for an entire frame.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-8...on+drill+brush
    Attached Images Attached Images

I did a 57 CJ5 starting about a year ago. A little fixing up turned into a whole going through. I ended up using the abrasive wheels. They do work great, especially on the outside of the frame where there are few obstructions. Where I couldn't get with the wheels I did the best I could do with various brushes and even used some rust remover. I think if I had to do it again I would have stripped the frame down and had it sandblasted just to save time, but I am satisfied with what I have. I did buy some rust remover liquid and there are various brands. If you can dip small parts in it that will do a fine job getting the rust off the small parts.

"I like to use the nylon abrasive brushes sold by Harbor Freight. They will clean the paint off down to bare metal without a huge amount of effort, just some time. The brushes work well on frames, differentials, and sheet metal. They are also cheap at $3.99 or so a piece, with an average of 3 used for an entire frame.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-8...on+drill+brush"

These are slick! I use a lot of 80 grit flap disc, but I'm gonna have to give these a try.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    I like to use the nylon abrasive brushes sold by Harbor Freight. They will clean the paint off down to bare metal without a huge amount of effort, just some time. The brushes work well on frames, differentials, and sheet metal. They are also cheap at $3.99 or so a piece, with an average of 3 used for an entire frame.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-8...on+drill+brush
    As usual GM is spot on. I too use those for cleaning the paint off. Galvanized would be my fav, but, I've been using Por-15 for over fifteen years on my projects.
    "Options are for girls"

Thanks all, it looks like I was overthinking it... worrying about the areas that cannot be cleaned (where the frame is boxed instead of open channel).
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

The only way to get in there is a dip. Sand blasters can get in there pretty well but you will not get into the tubular front cross member or up behind the boxed areas all the way. When dipping the drain holes have to be opened up on that tube in front to be sure everything gets in and out. On the areas that can not be gotten to with the sand blasters wands, I use Eastwoods Internal Frame rust converter https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-in...z-aerosol.html followed by a paint fog.