Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RANCHO suspension... WHY did I do this?

RANCHO suspension... WHY did I do this?

So, 41 years ago, I had to copy my friends and get this Rancho leaf spring set. Originally there were 4 leaves which was WAY too stuff. I removed one spring years ago and the darn thing is still too stiff and too high. I'm getting this running after it sitting 25 years. Does anyone know if remove the lowest spring (shortest one) would lower this jeep back, or close to original height? Hard to see because of the grime and rust but that's the three-leaf set up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am totally looking forward to the answers on this. I remember the rancho kits but I have no idea what will happen if you delete 2 springs. Maybe someone did that for sand dunes back when.

Typically Rancho Springs were "Re-Arched" with a helper added. The lower spring is the one that is usually added or "beefed up". You certainly can remove it. It will lower the Jeep though only you will find out how much. It will definitely ease the ride and, lower the weight carrying capacity of the vehicle. I will say that I usually take the lower leaf out of my daily driver pick up trucks to ease the ride and lower it. I add air bags to use when I am actually hauling something.

I agree with Bmorgil on the removal of the helper spring. You may get a half inch of lowering, but it will ride a bit better.

Thanks everyone!
    I was obviously undereducated on suspension when I bought that set. Well, I was 16 and now I'm nearly 60! (I was 15 when I bought it - my first car!)
    I think I'll remove them and get original stock springs. I just want to have shocks that work again, and just drive this jeep around town and on dirt roads.

Mark, we all do things that defy logic in youth. Heck, I know old people that still do questionable moves. I think it smart what you are doing by purchasing new correct springs. As for shocks I use KYB.

Mike down in Encintias
    "Options are for girls"

My explanation is that a 60 year old a** hurts more than a 16 year old a**.

When the old guys say that you'll regret doing things (insert any action here), they know what they are talking about.

I wholeheartedly agree!! What I thought was good back in the late 70's has changed a little.
    Working on this jeep is somewhat surreal. It sat so long in the garage that it became sort of a "ghost" to me. It was there, but I stopped noticing it was a jeep. It was just another object in the garage.
    Now, working on it after 25 years, it's come back to life and I'm noticing all the stupid **** I did when I was THAT age. One of the worst thing was chopping a rectangular hole in the dash to install a military style instrument panel, replacing the broken one piece that was there originally. Again I had to copy my friends jeeps.
    I have a new OEM style cluster to eventually go back in, when I find a decent metal worker to "put the round hole back in." I should start a separate thread on all this... it might be entertaining!

Mark not to worry, it is always best to know what happened. I can remember many job's where I scratched my head and wondered "now why did someone do that?" In your instance the history is known. You did it because it was there! Knowing its history is as much fun as putting it all back together.