Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RANCHO suspension... WHY did I do this?

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    Mark not to worry, it is always best to know what happened. I can remember many job's where I scratched my head and wondered "now why did someone do that?" In your instance the history is known. You did it because it was there! Knowing its history is as much fun as putting it all back together.
    That's a great point. Thank you. Yes at least I did know the "reason for holes" like the huge-*** one on the side for the CB antenna! That will be one of them that I'll have filled in eventually along with the big ol square I cut out for the military style instrument panel. My brakes are closer to being complete but I'm racing the clock now. Major neck surgery is this Monday and I'll be out of service for at least 6 weeks. That will give me plenty of time though to assess what I need to do and order more parts, like those leaf springs.

Good luck on the neck surgery, and we will keep you in our thoughts.

Thank you! I installed another brake line yesterday: that little squiggly one to the wheel cylinder. Tomorrow morning, the surgery "party" starts. I'll order my leaf springs while I'm out of service.

I'm back... alive more or less. Surgery was "successful" but still in pain. Doctor says it can take a year or more for results sometimes...
    In the meantime, I finished my brake overhaul and back to my leaf spring dilemma.
    I have a source for getting "good, checked, used" leaf springs for the front and rear of my 3B for $50 each.
    Once this jeep is back on the road regularly, ALL I will do is drive it around town or perhaps on a dirt road from time to time. There will be on heavy off-roading, ever.
    Has anyone here purchased the OMIX springs? The OMIX are about $85 each without tax and shipping. I'm concerned with the quality of those, though.
    I'm really leaning toward the "good checked used" but just want some feedback.
    Thanks!

Welcome back Mark J. Glad you are on the road to recovery, and back at working on you 3B.

In my opinion, I would go after the good checked used springs. For what you are planning to do with your rig, they will fit the bill nicely.

Good to here you are on the road back Mark! I agree with gm, though I am not sure what "checked" means. For that price they should do you just fine. As long as they have a good arch to them, and the shackles are usable, you can't go wrong on something your just going to drive around and have fun in. I am sure if it goes together and sits at a good ride height it will handle what ever you want to do including off road, with used springs.

Alive - more or less ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark J View Post
    I'm back... alive more or less. Surgery was "successful" but still in pain. Doctor says it can take a year or more for results sometimes...
    It's good to hear from you again. We all understand ... alive more or less ... . Just take it easy crawling around under things.

I'd go with the "used, inspected" springs as well - give them a good critical eyeball when you get them - check all the little clamps and snubbers. Clean them up well and give them a coat of paint - your old bony backside and neck will appreciate the smoother ride.

Just remember; Doctors get paid to "practice" - the rest of us have to play for real (grumble, grumble, Harumph)

Thanks all, again! I've ordered new shackles but they're back ordered. Jeep Hut had a decent price but they're back ordered until May. I can't wait that long now because, after driving it a little bit, I found out my "Franken-neck" just can't handle the shock. In fact, I think I mentioned earlier... the shocks don't even work! There's not enough flex in the springs for the shocks to engage.

Welcome back ...er. Back to the forum life! Hope you take it easy, don't be pulling out any screws in the human, only the jeep

Quote Originally Posted by Mark J View Post
    Thanks all, again! I've ordered new shackles but they're back ordered. Jeep Hut had a decent price but they're back ordered until May. I can't wait that long now because, after driving it a little bit, I found out my "Franken-neck" just can't handle the shock. In fact, I think I mentioned earlier... the shocks don't even work! There's not enough flex in the springs for the shocks to engage.
    There's a titanium plate in my neck now but I think I'll leave it there!