Thread: LEAF SPRINGS for CJ3B. Some are 8, some are 10... ?

Hybrid View

LEAF SPRINGS for CJ3B. Some are 8, some are 10... ?

I want to return my 3B back to stock height and ride.
    I'm looking at the OMIX leaf springs. I'm removing the Ranchos... they're awful. There are two different types of OMIX showing up as "stock replacement." One is 8 leaf, and the other 10 leaf. Does anyone know which spring type is correct? Most of the sellers have no clue. Or is there another brand? I'm on a budget. I'm not building a performance jeep. I want a STOCK type and I want no additional lift.

The 8 leaf will do just fine for your application as a stock rig. The 10 leaf is for the military and vocational jeeps that needed the beefier capacity, outside of the farm jeeps that used the 10 leads and a helper coil spring above the axle.
    Look around in your area to see if there is a spring shop that is still in operation. Once upon a time one could go into said shops and have a custom built spring pack made up for not a lot of cash.

Mark, there were "Heavy Duty" springs available from the factory depending on the Jeep. You could have had 8 leafs in the front and 9 in the rear on the standard setup. Or 10 in the front and 11 in the rear in the heavy duty set up.

gm I actually have a pair of those very rare helper springs!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bmorgil; 10-27-2020 at 05:08 PM.

Thanks everyone, again.
    My Rancho's were 5 spring originally. I removed one and nothin happened! So I'm glad to know of the correct type. I want my jeep back to its old self again.

Just to verify the part numbers, I wrote to OMIX and received this reply:

Dear Mark Jeffries,
    Factory is 8 leaf front and 9 leaf rear.
    The 18201.01 should be what you need for the front and 18202.01 should be what you need for the rear. My info shows these are only fitting 41-53 it does not include the 57 year range you say you have. So you will want to make sure that the 53 and 57 have the same springs before you order. I do not list any springs for the 57 3B

I'm 99.9% sure those are the correct springs but I wonder why they don't list them (neither do most of the eBay sellers) as fitting anything later than 53? The only exception I'd think would be the early CJ5's being different.

Mark, if you can get your hands on the CJ3B parts manual, you will know for sure. https://www.kaiserwillys.com/vehicle...ts-53-64-cj-3b Maybe someone has access to one. You should also check the CJ3b forum. https://cj3b.info/

Thanks. I thought I was a member there, but non of my log in info worked. It took 5 attempts to join. It kept rejecting everything I put in, and I'm an admin on a huge forum!
    I'm waiting for my approval. Thanks again.