Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from Germany!

On this three day trip we were lucky with the weather. It was late August and only on one day it rained a bit. When the drizzle got a bit too much we stopped and raised the roof. Despite a lack of doors that works surprisingly well although the wind screen wipers aren't up to much...
    As for reactions: in Germany Oldtimers get a license plate ending on a letter H. That is a bit like an inoffical club and whenever you encounter another H-reg you wave hello, and they greet back. I've also been greeted, waved at or got a thumbs-up from other (non-H) motorists and pedestrians, people do appreciate when you drive a piece of history around, especially (at least for the ones with a bit more detailed knowledge of military history) when it is something as iconic as a Willy.

This weekend might actually be the first this year suitable for a ride, the weather is supposedly getting rather nice.
    That friend of mine in the pictures and myself are curently kitting out with replicas of period gear so we can ride in style and also aim to make more photos with that. We'll see what will come from that...

Driving an old Willy's sounds like the same phenomenon the world over; similar responses and the same windscreen wiper functioning, apparently! Hope you get in that trip

I want an "H"!

This is very neat. I feel like I am riding along with you. Keep it up Thomas, I don't think anyone has taken us on such a trip! This is very enjoyable. I look forward to your pictures and comments.

Unfortunately despite the fantastic weather on that Feb sunday (20° C, rather unusual for the month) and me getting all dressed up, the jeep didn't want to start. Not even with hanging from the battery charger.
    Because of the slow turning starter I got a new battery, however with similar results. On the chance the battery got delivered flat that is now also hanging on the charger with the slim hope it will start tomorrow. If not it will have to go back to the garage...

:-(

Oh no Thomas! Hopefully a charge is all she needs.

That feeling also a worldwide phenomenon, apparently. Sorry. And hope we get a pick of the jeep somewhere along a route soon!

Not the battery. Seems to be something with the electrical system. Tuesday the guy from the garage will come round again to take a closer look. Life remains interesting when owning a Willy...
    Reminds me a lot of the 19 year old Mini I used to have in the late 90ies. There was always something not working with that one...

Jeep in garage.jpg

yuck. so sorry. when yours is working, all this will be forgotten. we always have the next trip !

Those 6 volt systems demand perfection!

The beast is (supposedly) fixed. Apparently whoever had their fingers last on the wiring did some unhealthy connections. Now those are hopefully gone and I'm richer by one switch, for the ignition.
    Coming weekends will show if that did the trick.
    Ther personal kit is looking good though, albeit still a bit too new and shiny.