Hello. Just bought a 1953 M38A1 Willys Jeep. The previous owner had stripped it down to the bare frame and cleaned and repainted the chassis and suspension and drive train. The fenders will need to be replaced and the wiring refurbished.

The PO said that it had one stripped head bolt that his mechanic had tried to repair with a helicoil. So I pulled the head and actually found three head bolts that had been repaired (or attempted) with helicoils. So I have removed the helicoils and will have a machine shop repair them with Big-Serts. I'm pretty sure the helicoils wouldn't effectively seal since the head bolts go into the water jacket anyway.

Since the engine only had 34,000 miles, the cylinder isn't worn, but I'm unsure of the condition of the rings so I'm going to pull the engine completely apart to replace the seals and rings and maybe the rod and main bearings if they have excessive clearance. I'll go through the rest of the mechanical and electrical as I decide what it needs to run. My plans are to semi-restore it so that it will be a great farm vehicle to putter around in

Lastly, I got to looking at an 1959 Motors manual that used to belong to my father-in-law and photocopied the Willys Jeep and Carter YF sections and saved them to a pdf format. Is there a place where I can upload the pages? The Willys Jeep section is 38 MB and the Carter section is 8 MB.

Other questions surely to follow.