Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to me Willys Wagon

New to me Willys Wagon

I picked up a pretty original 1951 2wd Willys Wagon a few months ago. This will be a challenge for me. I haven't wrenched on an old vehicle for many years, so I may have a bunch of questions. Well the picture thing didn't go well. I need to investigate

Thanks for looking,

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Woodbutcher; 11-03-2020 at 10:30 PM.

Oh man another Willys truck on the road again! Love that color.

Here is how to post a picture in a thread, but it looks like you have it figured out. https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...re-in-a-thread
    Or you can start an Album from the Forum main page. Scroll down to Willys Photo's and click on Gallery. Click on the Create New Album button.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 11-04-2020 at 06:47 AM.

Another 2WD Joins The Crowd

Hot Dawg! Another 2WD Vehicle to keep the '48 company. Nice color - it looks like Tunisian Red, same as the '48.

I've driven my '48 2WD truck since 1964 and way back then I learned that many 4WD adventurers ended up digging out all four wheels - while we 2WD folks had better sense than try it in the first place.

When you post a picture, make sure that the picture is oriented the way you want it to be. You may have to look at it in a photo viewing app and rotate it before you post it.

Do I see an overdrive knob just above where your left knee would be? Also interesting - several sources claim that the tool box was gone by 1951 but you have one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LarrBeard; 11-04-2020 at 08:00 AM.

Welcome Woodbutcher!

Great to have another wagon on here! Ask away, we will be glad to help out on any question.

Thanks for the welcomes. I will try and figure out the picture posting. Slow and steady wins the race I guess, so right now I have the fuel tank being cleaned and relined and I'm doing the rear brakes. Next the front and then on and on and on.......

You are going about it the right way. The fuel system is the first thing to get right, and is often overlooked. Get the crud out of the tank and coat it, and that will eliminate a lot of the common problems.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    You are going about it the right way. The fuel system is the first thing to get right, and is often overlooked. Get the crud out of the tank and coat it, and that will eliminate a lot of the common problems.
    This thing sat awhile before I got it. The last owner put on a new fuel pump, gas lines and brake lines. So it started and kind of stopped. But it stopped running. There was no gas getting up to the fuel filter anymore, so I decided to do a complete fuel system fix. Tank is getting lined, new fuel sending unit, I blew out the gas lines, so I am crossing my fingers it fires up when I get it put back together.

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    Hot Dawg! Another 2WD Vehicle to keep the '48 company. Nice color - it looks like Tunisian Red, same as the '48.

I've driven my '48 2WD truck since 1964 and way back then I learned that many 4WD adventurers ended up digging out all four wheels - while we 2WD folks had better sense than try it in the first place.

When you post a picture, make sure that the picture is oriented the way you want it to be. You may have to look at it in a photo viewing app and rotate it before you post it.

Do I see an overdrive knob just above where your left knee would be? Also interesting - several sources claim that the tool box was gone by 1951 but you have one.
    What a great looking truck you have, you should be proud. I'll work on the pictures. They are orientated correctly on my computer, when I upload then to the forum they change 90 degrees. I'll get it. My Willys is an overdrive truck. Hope I can get it to work.

You would be surprised to find out what ends up in a resting fuel tank, even when it appears to have always had the cap on. Wasps, bumblebees, and leaves are common besides rust and varnish.

Nice truck. More pics when you get a chance.