Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What gas is recommended

What gas is recommended

I've got a 51 Wagon with the Lightning 6. What is the recommended gas to use. I have been told premium but I'm unsure.

Any grade of non-ethanol fuel works. Higher grades are a bit of overkill, but the ethanol will corrode the aluminum in the carb and the fuel pump. A higher octane rating will help if the engine pings when excellerating, but that would be timing or carbon build up. If non-ethanol is not available in your local stations, you can purchase ethanol stabilizer to help prevent corrosion. Also, if your engine has not been overhauled, it is a good idea to use a lead additive to your fuel. The lead acted as a cushion to the original valves, where a modern rebuild would use stainless valves and hardened seats.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 11-09-2020 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    Any grade of non-ethanol fuel works. Higher grades are a bit of overkill, but the ethanol will corrode the aluminum in the carb and the fuel pump. A higher octane rating will help if the engine pings when excellerating, but that would be timing or carbon build up. If non-ethanol is not available in your local stations, you can purchase ethanol stabilizer to help prevent corrosion. Also, if your engine has not been overhauled, it is a good idea to use a lead additive to your fuel. The lead acted as a cushion to the original valves, where a modern rebuild would use stainless valves and hardened seats.
    Thanks for the reply. The guy I bought this from was told the guy before him rebuilt the engine, but there is no way to know for sure what he did. I just picked up the tank from being cleaned and relined. I'm in the midwest so getting gas without at least 10% Ethanol is near impossible to get. Will an Ethanol stabilizer create a problem with the liner?

The liner should be alright regardless of fuel used. I use Red-Kote fuel tank liner exclusively, and have had excellent luck with it, regardless of fuel type being ran.

Woodbutcher, if you are around any Marinas or Recreational areas, there is usually a place that sells "Recreational Fuel" or non-ethanol fuel. Places where there are a lot of "off road" motorcycles or areas of water where there are boats is especially good. A lot of boat owners will not use ethanol in their fuel. Also I have a farm supply that sells Non-Ethanol fuel for some farm equipment.

Thanks, I was not aware of that. There are a couple Marinas not that far away.

Come to Oklahoma. You can buy gas without ethanol almost anywhere. I don't use it in anything except my wife's car.

I wish it was that easy. We are in the middle of Corn Country so they stick Ethanol in most of our gas.

Maybe this link will help: https://www.pure-gas.org/

I don’t know about marinas elsewhere but the closest one to me only sells 91 octane and it is priced pretty high. I consider myself fortunate to live close to 2 stations where I can get 100% 87 octane gasoline.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

Awesome link!