Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carburetor Identification Make/Model

Carburetor Identification Make/Model

I recently acquired a 1957 Willys CJ5 and need help identifying the carburetor. I know it should have a Carter YF but this is what was on it. It is badly in need of a rebuild and I need to know what kit to order. There are no manufacturer or model numbers in the casting except "Made in USA". The tag that would normally be on the float bowl is missing. Any help would be appreciated. Hope I'm doing this right, my first attempt at posting here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That looks like what was on mine. I ordered a kit from KW and it was the right kit. A word of warning. I took it all apart and put it in the cleaner to have it all ready when I got the kit and the kit had no instructions nor a blowup of the assembly. A couple of things I was not sure about and found a video on You Tube to get it like it was supposed to be.

I am by no means any kind of an authority on carburetors, but I did tear down the Carter YF carb on the F134 that ended up in my truck to try to rebuild it and after a long series of misadventures I tore down what was probably a pretty well rebuilt YF just to see to see what was going on

As I look at the details of the innards of the fuel bowl - that just doesn't look like any of the YF's that I worked on.

Here is what I consider the best "Been there, done that" account of rebuilding a Carter YF.

https://cj3b.info/Tech/CarbsDave1.html

Rschmidt - I'd suggest you have something else other than a Carter YF.... but I dunno what it is.

Okiemark, what did you ask for?

I looked long at that carb also Larry, I dunno what it is either! It looks very similar to an early Carter like off a 50's Chevrolet truck, but the linkage is in the wrong place. It obviously bolts right up to your 134. Very interesting. I am wondering if it isn't off of another type of vehicle with a 134 on or in it? Mark is that what yours was like inside? Like you said, on a 57' CJ it should be a YF.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 11-15-2020 at 04:24 PM.

Well, there definitely are some differences, but thought maybe later made parts might look different. Didn't know if he'd already taken the linkage off.

It looks like it came off a flat head Ford.... But that is a visual guess. The first picture looks like the mount holes have been hogged out for a different intake with a slightly wider pattern.

I'm checking back in to see if anyone figured out what kind of carburetor I have. I have looked at pictures of almost every Carter 1 bbl carb made and although it's similar, none of them match. Since I bought the jeep from out in the country in Missouri I was thinking it may have an old tractor carburetor, maybe a Zenith, but those diagrams don't seem to match up exactly either. I just found and bought a YF carb on an Ebay auction that I plan to rebuild when I get it delivered, but I would still like to know what this carb is and if it could have been original to this jeep.

I went with the ford flathead suggestion and found a matching carb. I now know that it is a Marvel Schebler Universal 1 BBL Model 10-2802. It was used on fords, plymouths, tractors and apparently someone put one on my Willys. I will just forget about this carb and rebuild the Carter YF that I found online. I want to thank everyone for their help.
    Last edited by rschmidt; 11-15-2020 at 11:52 PM.

Nice detective work. gmwillys always gets us going the right direction.

https://www.ebay.com/i/332832085268?...saApPfEALw_wcB

It looks like a "Western Auto" stocking item!

Rebuild Carter YF

Quote Originally Posted by rschmidt View Post
    I went with the ford flathead suggestion and found a matching carb. I now know that it is a Marvel Schebler Universal 1 BBL Model 10-2802. It was used on fords, plymouths, tractors and apparently someone put one on my Willys. I will just forget about this carb and rebuild the Carter YF that I found online. I want to thank everyone for their help.
    The Carter YF is a fairly easy unit to rebuild. I suggest two things:

A. Clean it very well. Just a little bit of crud in those low speed or high speed circuits will cause a lot of trouble. In the article I referenced, he recommends a set of those little bitty bits from Horrible Freight to check out orifice sizes. They also work well to make sure orifices are open.

B. Make a lot of pictures of it. It helps to have a picture when you're trying to remember just which piece went in where.

C. The hardest chore for me was getting the coaxial springs on the accelerator pump shaft and getting the little dammit retaining clip in place. I had to make a little tool to hold the spring down so I could slip on the retainer. It got away from me once and went sailing across the shop. It took me several hours of sweeping and sorting to find it - therefore the name for the clip.

Good luck!