Thread: IT'S ALIVE! However:

IT'S ALIVE! However:

The oil leaks from the top of the cannister. What is the correct order of the cap and various felt, rubber, and crush washers?

Oil Filter Assembly Sequence

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
    The oil leaks from the top of the cannister. What is the correct order of the cap and various felt, rubber, and crush washers?
    Element goes in the pot

Cap has a gasket around the rim

Cap goes on the pot.

There is a rubber gasket (washer) under a flange on the bolt head.

Bolt goes thru the cap, pulls rubber gasket on cap down to flange of pot.

If my memory serves me - which it doesn't do as well as it once did - I don't have a crush washer/gasket on mine, but yours may well be different.

The good news is that it generates enough oil pressure to leak!

Yep. Good oil pressure. Thanks.

The sealing washer under the nut is a critical piece if you don't want drips. As you can read about mine, I blew oil all over a fresh restore because of that sealing washer. It is usually a copper crush washer like on the brakes. It has to be a good solid sealing washer.I tried a "soft" one and it ripped and leaked and spewed.

Leak Stoppers

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    The sealing washer under the nut is a critical piece if you don't want drips. As you can read about mine, I blew oil all over a fresh restore because of that sealing washer. It is usually a copper crush washer like on the brakes. It has to be a good solid sealing washer.I tried a "soft" one and it ripped and leaked and spewed.
    Dang! Now I have to look at mine to see just what is in there. But, since it's not leaking, I'm going to wait a while to take it apart...

Thompson's Rule 14(a): If it's not broken, fool around with it until it is.

Great call Larry, if you take it apart and try to re-use the old one it will leak. Those canister type filters are just tough to seal there, no matter what vehicle they are on. If you want a perfect seal there you need to use new stuff and tighten it correctly. That said a lot of people (and I have) just reuse the old seal. It usually just weeps or drips a little.

https://www.rfjp.com/p-131-oil-filte...ket-a1233.aspx It is a 7/16" I.D. x 1" O.D. gasket
    Last edited by bmorgil; 11-21-2020 at 08:58 AM. Reason: add link