Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '47 CJ-2A: Just upgrade rear brakes to disc?

'47 CJ-2A: Just upgrade rear brakes to disc?

Just starting out on refurbushing our family's Jeep. Not a restoration, just taking care of 10-15 years of neglect, plus some upgrades.

First question: I'd like to improve the braking, thinking I will upgrade to disk brakes but just on the rear. I will service the front drum brakes. Is this a wise plan? I'm trying to sve money, and also thinking that discs on all 4 wheels is serious overkill. Advice appreciated.

Second question: I do love Kaiser Willy's... but $750 for the rear end disc brakes? Is there an alternative?

Thanks in advance,

-Richard
    Attached Images Attached Images

5JeepsAz is upgrading to some nice brakes right now. Check out his Truck.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    5JeepsAz is upgrading to some nice brakes right now. Check out his Truck.
    New to this forum... how do I do that?

Thanks!

Here you go. https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...or-Cindy/page3

This will help with a 2A project https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/w...opic39499.html

If you go to Advanced Search, type in the "Users Name" in the box. I think the brake discussion is a few pages in. Let us know how it goes!

One thing, Disc on the rear only is not a good idea. In general, the front brakes need to have more "stopping power" than the rear for reasons of control. Especially in a short wheelbase jeep, rear wheel lock up without front brake lock up would send you spinning like a centrifuge. First go with front Disc's. You will have a huge improvement. Rears are unnecessary. Nice but not needed. The fronts do 80% of the work and, can do it all if required.

That is a classic photo of your Jeep. Be sure to send that in for the photo contest when we get notified for pictures.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 03-23-2020 at 07:52 AM.

Hey, listen to these guys. Brakes are worth the spend! I just ransomed my jeep truck out of the garage ... Today. Brakes baby!!!! Totally worth the time and effort. Oh, and check all the threads on here for the common theme. Which is this. What's on your Jeep is what's one your jeep; that doesn't mean it matches up with part numbers, NOS, modernized parts. Welcome to the "well I wasn't gonna resto, but then it turned into a resto!!!".

That Old Jeep is out in the pasture, not "out to pasture". A classic picture!

BMorgil is right about brakes. You don't want to go spinning, because right after that comes rolling over and over. Bad JuJu Bwana.

In my humble opinion, if you work up a good set of drum brakes on that CJ, they will do all the stopping you need. It's light, short wheelbase and less than 50 MPH.

But just remember that whatever you do, good brakes are essential. As they say in the phone commercial, "If the brakes don't stop it, something will."

Go over to you tube and do a search for jeep disc brake upgrades. I think it’s mud ox racing channel but he has put together a good video using GM parts etc for about $250 per axle. Little more work but saves $$. I’m going to do my fronts once I get to that stage of project

Awesome, you are going to love front discs.

Very awesome. The next thing bmorgil will tell you is get a vacuum cannisters. Then when you get one it's the size of a pony keg. Yep, you'll do that too at some point. Resto is the best-o. Lol it's all good! Happy you went for better braking. Post some pics of your build progress!

AZ, a "pony keg"? oh come now it's not that bad! Besides it keeps you from doing the "stop light 3 pedal shuffle" when there are innocent bystanders around.

Richard, AZ is referring to a vacuum reservoir can with a one way valve. AZ is right I would suggest it if you are installing vacuum POWER assisted brakes. The little 134 doesn't have enough vacuum to run them on its own (and neither does AZ's 6cyl). That said on the little CJ3A it will throw you out of the saddle with un-assisted front disc brakes. I would go with manual discs. On a pickup the vacuum assist is nice, but I don't think a 3A will need much help stopping with front discs.