Thread: 46 -53 jeep soup.

46 -53 jeep soup.

I have been working on a 46? CJ2a since last winter, on and off. It was in bad shape but got it back together and got it started yesterday. It had been sitting for 50+ years. I included an on/off switch and a foot starter, no key ignition. and converted it to 12 volt. Also put in a small fuse box. This is the wiring diagram. anybody see any problems with it? I think it should work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I looks OK at first glance. You may want to put an ignition switch between the coil and the amp gauge so you can have power without the ignition on. I would compare it to the original. On my 12 Volt conversion it is wired per the factory wiring diagram, just 12 volts. The only difference is the way the regulator hooks up. I did add a 12 volt power tap up under the dash to plug in the trickle charger and accessories like a cell phone charger! Like you I also used a "One Wire" alternator which eliminates the external voltage regulator and related wiring. Here is a nice factory schematic from the CJ2A page. The fuse box addition on yours is an upgrade!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bmorgil; 11-22-2020 at 07:00 AM.

Here are many of the same comments BMorgil made. He is one cup of coffee ahead of me this morning.

1. I’m not sure if the ON-OFF switch is a battery disconnect or a keyed ignition type switch. A battery disconnect is not a bad idea for an anti-theft or storage consideration. You might consider an ON-ACCessory option where you can run accessories (fan, windshield wipers) without having current to the coil and points. Points don’t like to have current through them on a long term basis when they are closed on a non-running engine.

2. You have the solenoid connected to the load side of the ammeter. You will see the current drawn by the solenoid coil every time you push in the foot starter – a big slug of current that doesn’t tell you much. I would suggest connecting it directly to the battery.

3. As a safety feature, just about every old Jeep has the horn tied directly to the battery. You can blow the horn for a warning without having to turn on anything.

4. Most Jeep light switches have an integral circuit breaker that protected the whole electrical system (less coil). With all of your fuses, you could either run the lights off the load side of the ammeter or bypass the circuit breaker.

If it has a serial number plate, we can figure out the year. Good luck – show us some pictures!

Pictures and Congratulations on the starting up!

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    Here are many of the same comments BMorgil made. He is one cup of coffee ahead of me this morning.

2. You have the solenoid connected to the load side of the ammeter. You will see the current drawn by the solenoid coil every time you push in the foot starter – a big slug of current that doesn’t tell you much. I would suggest connecting it directly to the battery.
    I am only allowed one cup of coffee in the morning.... Good point on the starter Larry. As soon as you hit the pedal its going to peg the crap out of that amp gauge. Most gauges are 50 amp and that starter is going to draw well over 100, especially if it is a 6 volt starter on a 12 volt battery.

I don't think you will see the whole starter current, just the draw from the coil of the solenoid. It will still be a pretty noticeable load to the Discharge side of the meter.

Oh I didn't see that the solenoid is wired in on top of the stater. I was thinking it still used the "foot solenoid".
    Last edited by bmorgil; 11-23-2020 at 07:24 AM.