Thread: 1948 pickup axle swap

1948 pickup axle swap

Rebuilding a 1948 pickup and decided to swap front and back axle. Purchased an IH scout II front end for better gear ratio. I found out that my springs measured 30 inches center to center and the scout front axle measures 31. The problem is the passenger side spring mount on axle cannot be moved to center axle on springs. Has anyone on this forum performed this swap and if so, what was the fix for centering the front axle.
    Thanks

There are a few people making offset shackles. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-4120075 You will need to fabricate or purchase something to move the frame stationary mounts. What Axle do you have? A Scout II could have a model 44 or a model 30 depending on the year. Is the passenger side spring mount part of the housing casting? You will need to move the frame mount with something like this https://www.barnes4wd.com/Leaf-Sprin...ers_p_363.html . There are a few ways to move the spring mount on the frame. When you offset use the strongest Shackles you can find and use solid nylon or "Poly" bushings. The load on the bushing is increased and it will deflect if it isn't very firm.

Here is a picture of my son's heavily modified CJ Scrambler. This power train was completely modified by his shop, M.R. Garage. A modern Jeep power train has been swapped in. It has a similar issue. The front axle has the spring mount cast into the housing on the Drivers side. In his case the newer model Transfer Case is on the drivers side.Nothing lined up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bmorgil; 11-28-2020 at 07:41 PM. Reason: add link for shackles

Yes the passenger side mount is casted in housing