Thread: Wheel cylinders

Wheel cylinders

Confused by this section saying some Universal models came with 1” and some came with 1-/8 and they must match? Crown/O’Reillys/Advanced only shows 15/16 for rear CJ applications? J series has 1-1/8 as does FC.

I have Crown 1-1/8 bore for the front with 11” upgrade per their application guide. Is this an oversight in the FSM?
    Crown shows 3/4 bore for rear stock 9” which still conflicts with this Section P of the FSM?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by oblvnnwtnjhn; 04-23-2023 at 10:01 PM.

I think the Universal Service Manual is referring to the early CJ's in the statement about the wheel cylinder pistons. The mystery is cleared very little by the Parts Manual for the CJ2A and 3A. It shows only one rear wheel cylinder part number for all CJ2 and 3's, A-6110. For the fronts it shows A-1484 on the CJ2A, but also indicates a change was made after serial number 215649. At that time a change was made to the front wheel cylinder piston design and the Master Cylinder was changed from cast iron to Aluminum. No indication of what the difference in part numbers or piston size is, but I am guessing they upped the diameter. I don't have the parts manual for the CJ5's. One thing I can tell you, the piston diameter must be the same size side to side or one wheel (with the larger piston) will have more braking force than the other.

That's about as clear as mud! Maybe gmwillys or one of the other fellas will have more.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 04-24-2023 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    I think the Universal Service Manual is referring to the early CJ's in the statement about the wheel cylinder pistons. The mystery is cleared very little by the Parts Manual for the CJ2A and 3A. It shows only one rear wheel cylinder part number for all CJ2 and 3's, A-6110. For the fronts it shows A-1484 on the CJ2A, but also indicates a change was made after serial number 215649. At that time a change was made to the front wheel cylinder piston design and the Master Cylinder was changed from cast iron to Aluminum. No indication of what the difference in part numbers or piston size is, but I am guessing they upped the diameter. I don't have the parts manual for the CJ5's. One thing I can tell you, the piston diameter must be the same size side to side or one wheel (with the larger piston) will have more braking force than the other.

That's about as clear as mud! Maybe gmwillys or one of the other fellas will have more.
    I agree, clear as Alabama red clay. I have the later Parts Manual you can download from my cloud: https://1drv.ms/b/s!Av5WYhcYlOzDkPQC...XaMmQ?e=R9sgCN

I was missing the wheel cylinder links. Found three at O'Reilly's and one more at another location. Installed one side this morning.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by oblvnnwtnjhn; 04-25-2023 at 11:41 AM.