Thread: Front suspension service and parts

Front suspension service and parts

While performing a knuckle stud upgrade and 11" brakes on my 61' CJ5, I replaced the front leaf springs as the PO told me he had removed one of the smaller ones per side to balance out the rear springs to account for the weight of the spare tire. I removed as he installed, reinstalled as I found it. Looking further at the Jeep Universal Parts List Group 27-03 and KW, it shows (1) A1097 U bolt to be installed on the passenger side, (2) A1097 on the drivers side.

The PO had one over the smaller flanged end of the Dana 27 where it's welded/mated to axle shaft tube, I assumed 2 per side but now seeing that is not correct, so I will revert back to what the factory calls for. I do not want to damage the flange end of the Dana 27 casting, glad I caught that before any serious wheeling.

As an aside, having a little difficulty getting the drivers side leaf spring to sit completely flush on the perch plate/center pin. I have tried using two jacks and jack stands to relieve pressure, still will not sit flat on the perch pin. I do notice the front shackle seems a bit further back than the passenger, I though perhaps the leafs need to come forward just a hair, with pressure off, I used my 2lbs dead blow forward and backwards, still not sitting flat. Any further tips/suggestions from the seasoned vets?

I may have the alignment shop address it as I do not have toe plates, and I am behind schedule as is, so worth the $90 to me having an old school alignment shop handle it and know it's done right.

Take this for what it is worth, since I'm no expert, but...

I also have a 61 CJ5 that I'm working on right now. Mine has the Dana 25, not the 27, so I'm making the assumption that they are set up the same to handle the leaf springs. What you'll find is that both the drivers side and the passenger sides require two U bolts per spring. However, on the passenger side, one of the U bolts is larger in diameter so that it can fit over the edge of the differential housing. The other U bolt has a smaller diameter since it only has to fit over the smaller diameter axle tube. On the drivers side, you need two of the smaller diameter U bolts since they only go over the axle tube on that side. Here is a picture of my Dana 25 when I opened the diff cover. But you can see that one of the U-bolts for the spring goes over the diff housing and one goes over the axle tube. The bottom spring plate will be drilled accordingly so that the U-bolts fit through it. This is the way it is designed, so you shouldn't have any worries about serious off-roading with the U-bolt going over the diff housing in this one location.

Front Diff 1st open 2.jpg

As for the leaf spring not sitting flush on the perch, you need to make sure that the hole that the center pin fits into on the perch is clear of debris. It should sit flush as you seem to be aware. There are several holes on the bottom of the perch. Make sure you are getting the spring center bolt in the correct hole. If not in the correct hole, that might explain why it won't sit flush and also why it doesn't align with the front shackle. The shackles are designed to move, so don't be afraid to loosen the shackle to get the spring to line up.

Hope this helps. If not, the experts will be along to correct me, hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by test1328 View Post
    Take this for what it is worth, since I'm no expert, but...

I also have a 61 CJ5 that I'm working on right now. Mine has the Dana 25, not the 27, so I'm making the assumption that they are set up the same to handle the leaf springs. What you'll find is that both the drivers side and the passenger sides require two U bolts per spring. However, on the passenger side, one of the U bolts is larger in diameter so that it can fit over the edge of the differential housing. The other U bolt has a smaller diameter since it only has to fit over the smaller diameter axle tube. On the drivers side, you need two of the smaller diameter U bolts since they only go over the axle tube on that side. Here is a picture of my Dana 25 when I opened the diff cover. But you can see that one of the U-bolts for the spring goes over the diff housing and one goes over the axle tube. The bottom spring plate will be drilled accordingly so that the U-bolts fit through it. This is the way it is designed, so you shouldn't have any worries about serious off-roading with the U-bolt going over the diff housing in this one location.

Front Diff 1st open 2.jpg

As for the leaf spring not sitting flush on the perch, you need to make sure that the hole that the center pin fits into on the perch is clear of debris. It should sit flush as you seem to be aware. There are several holes on the bottom of the perch. Make sure you are getting the spring center bolt in the correct hole. If not in the correct hole, that might explain why it won't sit flush and also why it doesn't align with the front shackle. The shackles are designed to move, so don't be afraid to loosen the shackle to get the spring to line up.

Hope this helps. If not, the experts will be along to correct me, hopefully.
    As you can see from my picture, the front is somewhat flush, but it's the rear inner that still has a gap.
    ubolt_perch.jpg

Dana 27. This side also had a bit of gap but ratcheting evenly, the pin located and it sat flush.
    pass_ubolt.jpg

Update: looking further, I see that A1097 is used on passenger tube size, and slightly larger I.D. 808988 is used on the differential side. So my setup as is, appears to be correct. I was contemplating how one U-bolt would be enough to secure the leaf spring, now it's clear to me.
    Last edited by oblvnnwtnjhn; 04-17-2023 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Update

I think Test1328 is right, it looks like it is stuck on the alignment bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    I think Test1328 is right, it looks like it is stuck on the alignment bolt.
    I agree, I loosened the front shackle yesterday, will try the rear shackle loosened, spray some grease on the bolt/eye this evening to see if I can get it to seat/locate.