Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie with a MB

On mine there were a few places on the bottom that were rusted from the outside that I used epoxy on and I cleaned it up and did that. I put some diesel in it and started propping it up to test different parts of the tank and as I got it more cleaned out on the inside, leaks started showing up that were rusted from the inside out. That put an end to it.

Lads thanks so much for everyone’s advice; were are going forward with cleaning out the fuel tank w/ the recommended techniques & “line” the inside of the tank; also have a source of another fuel tank that has been sitting in a warehouse for about ten years & will work with that one as well

Appreciate everyone on the forum - even the “Navy Guy!” LOL - will keep you all posted

Happy New Year!

Chris

Thank you for the update. We look forward to being a part of your progress.

Hopefully 2021 will be a better year, and we can all get back to normal. I know I would like to make the trip over to Fort Benning to see your war horse in action.

Make sure to keep us posted with the progress of this build, I hope that everything will go well on your end.

So - the next phase continues....

Ordered a complete new distributor and fuel tank & will be mounting them this weekend; the fellas at the Fort Benning MWR Auto Skills center have tested everything else - compression is good in all cylinders, cleaned & rebuilt the fuel pump and carburetor; flushed out the fuel lines & installed a new fuel filter between the gas tank & fuel pump - hopefully this does the trcik & will keep you posted!

Chris

Here’s the Jeep with the fuel tank removed - needs a smidge of epoxy work for two small holes in the hull

EBC30635-E094-4E10-8238-1A24BDE8E1DA.jpg

Wow, not bad at all.

As what they have said it's not that bad. Make sure you keep us posted with the progress of this build.

Well we've finally got success! Replaced the fuel tank & complete distributor assembly, and now runs no problem! Will use only non-ethanol fuel for it as well. Had a slight issue not wanting to idle unless it was on full-choke, but that seems to of stopped - any ideas on what may cause that?

Thanks again everyone!

Lewis, the idle circuit is probably the culprit. I have written a few times about that circuit. Even in a brand new old stock rebuild kit that circuit gets blocked. The circuit has a tube jet with a long TINY orifice. It will plug with corrosion from just sitting in its package. I pass a wire through every one of them new or used before installing them. I would say a microscopic piece of crud got in there and blocked it for a while. The comment wont "wont idle without the choke" is the main symptom. The fact it "went away" makes it sound pretty sure. If it happens again make sure you have a filter between the fuel pump and the carb. These Carters are sticklers for clean fuel in the idle circuit.