Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie with a MB

Chris take out a spark plug and ground it to the block. Crank it over and check for a good spark on the plug. If you have good spark, give it a little shot of ether and see if it will fire. If it fires and runs for a second start looking for a fuel issue. If it still won't fire and there is spark, the compression, the ignition timing and valve timing needs to be verified. If you have the service manual it will walk you through the tests to verify these things.

Since it was running fine and started to sputter and now won't run, it sure does have an ignition "sound" to the problem. Verify that you have good spark at the plug.

If you look down the carburetor with the engine off and open the throttle do you see fuel squirt into the engine?

If it has good spark, good fuel, correct ignition timing, correct valve timing and compression it has to run.

Keep trying Chris, I have lots of guesses!
    Last edited by bmorgil; 12-03-2020 at 02:28 PM.

Possibly the worst thing in the world is the question "is that a fuel problem or an electrical problem?" Keep plugging and good luck

Thanks lads - will definitely try the spark plug test tomm

Replaced the plugs & ensured the right # wires were connected from the distributor cap to plugs; engine turns over but still won’t catch - sprayed some carburetor cleaner into the carburetor & got it to turn over after two tries - engine sounds like before, sputtering & having trouble getting higher RPMs - sounds like a radial engine from a B-17 �� https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sui...VOE5DOGZz8KVfj

Wow it's got spark, skip that test and move to Timing and fuel. Does it run with some choke? Make sure it is timed correctly. If it is see if it will run with some choke. Are you sure about the firing order? Do not trust that the #1 at the distributor is where you think it is. Bring the engine up to number 1 firing (compression stroke). Look at the rotor in the distributor. Wherever it is pointed is now number 1. Just be sure it is where you think it is and someone hasn't changed it. This happens often and there is nothing wrong with moving number 1. Often it is done to avoid screwing around with a fussy distributor installation. You just need to be sure at this point. Find number 1 and follow the wires to be sure it fires 1, 3, 4, 2.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 12-06-2020 at 04:49 PM.

I'm going to take it back to the Auto Skills center tomm & see if I can get some help w/ the timing, etc.

Looking at my earlier post, just wanted to be clear that the Jeep does not start unless I use carb cleaner sprayed into the carburetor; "keeping fingers crossed" that we can get this puzzle solved soon & really appreciate your help!

Chris

Your Carburetor is either not set right on the float or trash in the main jet. Any which way, the carb is your culprit from my point of view. Carb cleaner to start, choke pulled out just enough to maintain running, full throttle bog, sounds like a radial B-17, yep, I'm with the carb issue.

Latest update - verified that the spark plugs had correct gap, checked points & timing & looks like the culprit is a failing ignition coil - tested each one of the spark plugs with an inline spark plug tester & got a very, very faint light - have ordered a new 6-volt ignition coil & should have it early next week - will keep you posted & again thanks for all the intel!

Chris

Make sure you have enough gap in the points.

Lewis, I hope you got it. If the points and coil don't cure it, I am with gmwillys, it sure does sound like a fuel problem.