Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie with a MB

latest update - was at the Auto Skills Center on Saturday here at Fort Benning for about 1/2 the day [had to leave to watch Army "schwak" Navy 15-0 in the Army/Navy Game!] Got some great help from two retired Army MSGs that were mechanics & think we've isloated back to fuel being the problem; fuel pump was clogged w/ garbage from fuel tank; cleaned the fuel pump & it also is on its last legs [ordered new one from KW]; disconnected the fuel line from the fuel tank & blew air through it & all this brown cruddy looking junk came out - we suspect corrosion in the fuel tank as well - over the holidays will disconnect & clean out the fuel tank throughly & with a new fuel pump see if this fixes it - more to follow

Chris

Cruddy Fuel Line - Gotten by the Goat

Quote Originally Posted by lewis505 View Post
    [had to leave to watch Army "schwak" Navy 15-0 in the Army/Navy Game!] fuel pump was clogged w/ garbage from fuel tank; cleaned the fuel pump & it also is on its last legs [ordered new one from KW]; disconnected the fuel line from the fuel tank & blew air through it & all this brown cruddy looking junk came out - we suspect corrosion in the fuel tank as well - over the holidays will disconnect & clean out the fuel tank throughly & with a new fuel pump see if this fixes it - more to follow

Chris
    Well, Army may have beat Navy this time, but fate stepped in and when you gloated, the navy "Goat" took revenge and put crud in your fuel line.

You may well have had a couple of issues; a defective coil as well as fuel problems. Once we get Old Jeeps running for a while, things show up. Crud breaks loose from the fuel lines and tank, electrical stuff fails, brake cylinders freeze up and old seals start to leak. It's acting a lot like an old Jeep!

Cleaning out a tank can be fun. One way we have found is to put pea gravel in it and just rattle it around. The gravel breaks loose most of the rust and scale.

GMWillys recommends a tank sealer to coat the inside of the tank once you get the crud loose. I don't remember his particular product, but I'm sure he will speak up here.

I'd also recommend an in-line fuel filter if you don't have one - between the pump and carburetor. There is probably going to be residual stuff in the fuel lines that will go through the pump, but not the carburetor passages.

and, there is always next year.

Go Navy, Beat Army

LarrBeard, ETCS USNR-Retired Sends

gmwillys likes to use RED-KOTE http://damonq.com/red-kote.html and I do to. I used it on my new tank to keep it from rusting. Good Stuff.

Larry's point cant be overstated on a good filter between the pump and the carb. I think that is mandatory or the carb will get crap in it eventually. Here is a good write up from a racing fuel systems manufacturer. https://aeromotiveinc.com/fuel-filtration/ The theory applies on all pumps.

It can be impossible to keep an old tank from the occasional flaking and rusting apart internally. Some will put a filter between the tank and the pump when this situation becomes to severe. The pump can take a lot of garbage but things can get to bad. A filter between the pump and tank will cause a lot of problems if you don't use a high flowing low restriction filter. These little jeeps need such a small amount of fuel, I think gm will tell you, done right with the right filter, and you might get away with a pre-fillter. I think you will find a good thorough cleaning and some RED-KOTE, and you will be OK with just a good filter between the pump and Carb.

To clean your tank before coating it with Red-Kote, I use aquarium gravel to swish around in the tank to loosen up all the rust flakes. The gravel is clean and dust free, so there is not any more contaminates added to the tank.

Tanks, Filters and Gravel

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    To clean your tank before coating it with Red-Kote, I use aquarium gravel to swish around in the tank to loosen up all the rust flakes. The gravel is clean and dust free, so there is not any more contaminates added to the tank.

Dang guys .. this sounds like we've got the story straight after all these years!

All problems can be solved with a few good folks putting their heads together.

Or we can all Bitc$ in unison and feel better together!

Make sure the tank is worth fixing. I started to clean mine out and cleaning out the rust started some leaks. The more leaks I fixed the more developed. Finally bought a new tank and that took care of the leaks and the rust in the tank.

I would consider a new one. They have a tendency to keep deteriorating.

I had a gas tank off of an M38A1 that I took to one of my racing buddies to hot tank. The darn think looked like Swiss cheese on the bottom when it came out. The project was on a shoe string budget, but since I was throwing in free labor, I went ahead and re-skinned the bottom of the tank with sheet metal. It was a long, tedious process, which would have been much easier if I had a TIG welder at my disposal. Pin holes and porosity was the biggest hurdles. After I was able to get it close to perfect, I found another A1 with a better tank for a cheaper price then the new tank.