Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Newbie with a MB

That is the biggest reason I switched mine bc the original owner said it was really hard to get it stopped with the 9" brakes so I got on Miss Google and found out 11" backing plates and brakes (I'm thinking they were off a 46 pickup) would bolt right up and I am glad I did it!!!
    That's why I was hoping Larrbeard would jump in, I am not sure if has 11" brakes or not.

" My 11" brakes off a 46 Pickup do not have the bottom adjusters, maybe Larrbeard can jump in...
    Do your brakes only have adjusters on the top Larry?""

Yes, I have 11-inch brakes. The '48 only has two eccentrics per backing plate.

"Big" Jeeps are different than the "little Jeeps. I believe - I don't have the books to back me up - that when the trucks, wagons and panel deliveries went to the 11-inch brakes, they only had adjusters at the top, two per wheel. The shoes pivot at the bottom, so as you turn the eccentric adjusters, you are only swinging the tops of the shoes - not the entire lining.
    Last edited by LarrBeard; 04-02-2021 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    " My 11" brakes off a 46 Pickup do not have the bottom adjusters, maybe Larrbeard can jump in...
    Do your brakes only have adjusters on the top Larry?""

Yes, I have 11-inch brakes. The '48 only has two eccentrics per backing plate.

"Big" Jeeps are different than the "little Jeeps. I believe - I don't have the books to back me up - that when the trucks, wagons and panel deliveries went to the 11-inch brakes, they only had adjusters at the top, two per wheel. The shoes pivot at the bottom, so as you turn the eccentric adjusters, you are only swinging the tops of the shoes - not the entire lining.

Thats exactly like my Larry....

The truck and wagon 11" brakes do only have one eccentric per shoe for a total of two per wheel end. They are much easier to adjust for sure. I found that a Snap On 3/4" offset Box End wrench slips into place, and works well in a pinch. Optimally, I'm with Bmorgil in modifying a cheapy wrench to do the job even better. The key is to leave yourself enough room to hold the eccentric bolt when you have achieved the proper gap. If there are not slots in the drum to stick a feeler gage through to check the gap, then the tried and true method that Bmorgil spoke of works just as well. Adjust the shoes out until you feel a drag from the shoe touching the drum, and back it off just enough for the drum to turn freely. Be sure to turn the drum in a complete circle to ensure that you do not have a drum that isn't perfectly round on the inside diameter.

I was thinking a Snap On might fit in there. I might just wring out my wallet for one. Is that a vintage Snap on gm?

I'll get you the part number for the wrench. I bought the set new in '92. Not vintage, but not new either. The offset is probably 3/4" or so.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    I'll get you the part number for the wrench. I bought the set new in '92. Not vintage, but not new either. The offset is probably 3/4" or so.
    Thanks man!

Snap on combination box end 3/4" and 13/16"
    Part number XB2426A

You are welcome Sir.

Gents-

What do you all recommend for a good 6V replacement battery?

gm has a few good ones. He will jump in here.