Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tornado 230 Bogs

Tornado 230 Bogs

HI folks!
    Leaning on 'group think' for this one--
    1963 Willys Utility Wagon w/Tornado 230 6cyl & a Holley 2300 2 bbl. Carb & fuel pump have been professionally rebuilt - the entire set up is original and runs. Sort of. Engine runs with partial choke open....but bogs to no power under any pressure....like going from the street to the drive! It takes HI revs to get er moving.......have not touched distributor or any vacuum stuff yet. Any armchair thoughts?
    Thanks!
    WaybackWillys

WW are you saying it will run with choke? Will it run as long as it is choked? If you open the choke does it stall? Will it idle with no choke?

After full warm up will run rough slightly choked. Put it in gear to move and bogs to failure if not heavily revved.

There's a video on youtube of a guy doing a tune up on one of these. Once all the usuals are completed, including a thorough flush with seafoam including the pour into carb and smoke out the neighbors, he does something neat-o.

Maybe somebody who speaks mechanic can translate my wording here.

He tightens those bow tie looking things in the picture, using a socket and two spark plug gap paddle tools. One is set for the one side, and the other for the other. Point being, at the beginning he can spin those bow ties. At the end, he's got them tighten to spec and they seesaw back and forth as the piston goes.

So if you have the engine below, you might look at those bow ties.

Once tight his engine ran like a champ . He said do it frequently.

Thanks 5JeepsAZ
    Are you referring to the rocker arms?? That's my little beast of an engine------I'll do some research & let you know-----it would be great if that was the fix!!

Mine too and hints of the same issue.

Here's the link

https://youtu.be/yteuBgqx2HM

It's a good video.

WW, "wont run well without choke" is almost always a lean condition in the primary circuitry of the carb, or a vacuum leak. If it wont run or has no power without the choke, but will run fine when its revving, the idle primary circuit of the carburetor most probably has an issue. It is probably blockage in the idle/primary circuit. Though your carb is "fresh" anything can happen. A piece of dirt could have found its way to the carb or, the Holley may have to be adjusted or looked at.

The other possibility is a large vacuum leak. A culprit is often the gasket under the carburetor base. The carb nuts need to be tightened sufficiently. It can be tricky and you can break the carb throttle body. You need to tighten each nut a little at a time back and forth until you can feel the bolt come up against a solid feel when its right. The specification is 60 to 80 inch. lbs. of torque on that Holley. A vacuum leak can be tough to find.

https://documents.holley.com/199r11515.pdf
    Last edited by bmorgil; 12-02-2020 at 08:28 AM. Reason: add vacuum leak

Thanks AZ!! I'll check it out----really appreciate the input.

Thanks bmorgil!
    Even the Carb folks said "it could be dirt"....I'll check on that, but I've a feeling VACUUM is the culprit. Ran rough BEFORE the rebuild and bogged...thought the rebuild would heal it....not so much. Had the fuel pump done for good measure - but used the old vacuum lines to the carb, ( and windshield washer!). I need Vacuum Lines For Dummies at this point.... time for more Willys Education!

How'd you get a windshield wiper with a tube? Need a pic of that!