Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Member with 1950 CJ3A

And just found this about restoring Harrison Heaters!
    https://www.cj3apage.com/index/My_19...son_heater.htm

Quote Originally Posted by skloetzel View Post
    The internet is never wrong, right?

Question: Does re-arching springs work well for Willys leaf-springs? Mine are essentially flat.

[inform if i should shut up here and start new threads, never been on a Forum b4.]
    Right... wrong.

Re arching springs is a temporary fix to a fatigued spring. They will return to flat, then break. Now re-arching a new spring that's different.

Keep up the good work! This forum is about your project.

[QUOTE=skloetzel;14912]And just found this about restoring Harrison Heaters!

Don't just repaint the motor - open it up and clean out all of the dirt and grit. Make sure the brushes aren't overly worn or cracked. Most armatures are in pretty good shape, but take a close look at the sleeve bearings.

It will purr and almost keep you warm

"inform if i should shut up here and start new threads, never been on a Forum b4."

Just keep posting. We're not "that kind" of Forum. We'll mix just about everything into the pile.

Thanks for feedback, y'all! OK, will put new leaf springs on the list - after 70yrs, they deserve to be replaced i am sure.

Finally found this most helpful YouTube vid about rebuilding Harrison heaters (of this model), and an exact-fit 12V Dayton motor, available from Grainger: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADbPnCqJqbQ

So i will try that route, hoping it will put out more heat w/ replacement motor...this is cold country!

Update on Clem, the 1950 CJ3A

Hi Folks! It's been a minute...
    Lots of work on Clem, 100's of hours of wrenching and learning. To get 'er running and plowing pretty good. Finally! But it's been a fun journey.
    Here's 5 pix (if they upload right).
    Here's the update: Jeep mostly rewired last year. Then its F4-134 crapped out (poor compression). Could not afford a rebuild. In November, lucked into a 1949 CJ2A w/ a later model (mid 60's?) F134. Brought that home (along with a groovy ~1926 Willys Whippet trailer for Clem to pull around - see pic). Then got my son and his mechanicing buddies to help with the cold-weather motor swap (principal cost for that was meat and beer). Took 3 tries to get newer motor to fit right. Pulled all good donor parts off of the old motor, including the Daytona UN2 Universal carb i'd been running.
    Now Clem runs better that ever, plows strong, moves down the highway just fine for a 70yo unrestored, hard-used old Willys. Love it!!!

PS: Anyone need/want a 1949 CJ2A w/ no motor, and a well-built metal full-top? It's gotta go!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Brrrrrr
    It does look cold out on the engine swap!!!
    I might be interested in that old Chevy pickup in picture #3

Great pictures! Man it looks cold. That thing looks great with the plow sitting in the snow ready to work. Just like the Eveready bunny... old Clem just keeps on tickin'.

Well, at least someone hasn't been sitting in the house all winter.

There is a certain satisfaction to having an old tool or item that just keeps on doing the job it was built to do 50, 60 or 70 years ago. Clem certainly falls into that definition.

You shouldn't have any trouble finding a buyer if you put the donor up on the KWAS Shop 'n Swap site. There have been a lot of things on there with a lot fewer possibilities...

And from the front of the shed, it looks like several critters were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Plow on!!!
    Last edited by LarrBeard; 01-12-2022 at 08:45 AM.