Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Member with 1950 CJ3A

New Member with 1950 CJ3A

Hello Willys folk,
    I am a life-long Willys fan, who had been without a Willys for 15yrs. My first 'car' was a '63 Willys wagon, which i adventured in a 7,000mi loop around the nation, back in 1984. Later, during college I had a '51 pickup that I rebuilt with the help of a '56 parts wagon (only bought cuz it had an overdrive) - I even put a little cedar house on the back of that pickup. Later still, I got a '51 CJ3A (always my favorite model), but i never could get that running right, and with 2 kids, a demanding wife (who dislikes Jeeps), a full-time job, and a farm to run...well, just not enuf time or money. So, alas, it got sold.

Five years ago, I decided by gawd time for another one! I still needed to get that long-sought-after 'little kid thrill' of cruising around in a old jeep thru the Montana prairies and mountains where i live. After 2yrs of looking, I got a good 'Craigslist' deal on this 1950 CJ3A w/ snowplow ($1500 plus freight). Well, am thrilled to say after 3yrs of sitting it is finally up and running...pretty well anyways. The poor beast had set out in a Laramie, Wyo cow pasture for ~20yrs, and the tub was about 1/4 full of cowcrap. The wiring was eaten or rotten. A few other issues as you might imagine.

It (she?) has a later model F-Head, so yes there's a hood-bump. I cut that down to be as small as possible. Motor purrs. Converted to 12V and electric fuel pump. Otherwise pretty much original. Harrison heater. I love the original un-restored look, and strive for that in all my old rigs. I am looking for a half-cab and bed extender.

I still have yet to plow snow with 'er. A few more things to work out: THE ISSUE right now is poor power. When i get it up to speed, it starts to die or sputter. It will barely handle 3rd gear, or any hill. Perhaps some junk in the needle-valve, loose/plugged vacuum advance, tune-up needed, timing needed? Advice? As I have no heated shop, so I can only work on it when above 25deg...which ain't often these days.

Lastly, I am open to naming suggestions!

Cheers, Steve in the Blackfoot Valley
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gotta love a 1950 CJ3A!

I am assuming it has been given a tune up since the motor "purrs". If not that would be the first step. I am going to put my money on not enough fuel Steve. Could be some crud in the main jet or, could be low fuel pressure. You might want to make sure that electric pump is up to snuff. Problems under load can usually be traced to fuel.

That thangs name is "Orange Sage Beer Biscuit " because famous in Wyoming ....or maybe ... sage, carrot, orange blossom, 4Horse, Clementine (that type of orange), Garfield (like the orange cat) or Jupiter for the orangest planet. I'm kinda stuck on them orange part.

I just don't see myself stopping at the I-80 High Point at the Summit Rest Area, and ordering up an "Orange Sage Beer Biscuit ". Something about the thought of that is wrong.

Now the look of that CJ3A, that has the gmwillys love of Patina all over it!

thanks for the ideas, 5jeeps. i kinda like Garfield,or Clementine. this thing started out standard jeep dark green, then was white and/or light blue, then that ____ orange. i am hoping a pressure wash might blow off some o that and expose at least some more of the original paint. must say, never hear of that food/drink in my Wyo travels...it that a Rock Springs specialty?
    bmorgil, yes a tuneup is in order. will check the fuel pump function. would rather convert it back to original fuel pump.
    if i connect that harrison heater up to the 12v, will it smoke the motor? it was/is disconnected, perhaps on purpose...

Harrison Heater on 12-volts

"...if i connect that harrison heater up to the 12v, will it smoke the motor? it was/is disconnected, perhaps on purpose..."

12-volts is hard on the original 6-volt heater motors, electrically and mechanically. Try one of these, set it for low speed.

https://www.autozone.com/electrical-...35x/764704_0_0

It is a minor point in most rebuilds, but the heater motor needs to be looked at as well. The motor shaft is supported by sleeve bearings that get full of dirt and grit and if you don't clean them out, the motor really screams at you. There is usually a lot of brush dust in there that is abrasive.

Put a heater motor tear down and clean up on your to-do list

Welcome skloetzel,

Very nice 3A. Bmorgil is correct, I love the patina of the well worn in look. Clementine has my vote for a suitable name.

The internet says people up your way eat something by that name. Perhaps the internet was wrong?! No way man. I love the patina look and hope you find a cool layering underneath. It's a great example, especially the plow. I was wondering about weight. Knew a guy who had a heavy chunk of metal dropped by tractor into a too light plow.

The internet is never wrong, right? Ok guys, Clementine it is, Clem for short. Perfect, love it!

Snowplow is a Western model 23777, 6'6", so about as small and light as they made em 'back then' (1970's? Seems hard to find info on older Western plows). It's orange, of course, which probably resulted in the Jeep's color.
    I know plowing is hard work for old jeeps, i will try to keep it gentle, but my driveway is 1/8mile uphill. When we get big dumps, will call in the big plow.

Trying to take off the Harrison heater to R&R the motor, can't seem to get the dang thing off.

Question: Does re-arching springs work well for Willys leaf-springs? Mine are essentially flat.

[inform if i should shut up here and start new threads, never been on a Forum b4.]

GMWillys, I just found your old post about Harrison heater motors, super helpful!

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/n...opic28747.html