Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swollen brake pads!!

Swollen brake pads!!

Group Think please-

Messing with Orscheln HAND BRAKE....pulled rear hubs with magic puller tool---no problem----same as multiple times before. CANT GET HUBS BACK ON..WONT CLEAR BRAKE PADS! Brakes are not functional - no pressure in lines---yet to bleed system from previous work. Never touched eccentric adjustments. I understand about the tapered key...

Is there some common reason they dont slide back on? I could POUND them on but never had to before-----

I will mess with them until it works properly - but Group Think usually save lots of swearing for future issues...

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Wayback Willys

I used to run into this quite a bit when I was doing Porsche 356's. I just adjust down until it slides on over the shoes. Or is it not the same. I could never figure out why the shoes would do what they did but I had an ex-wife I couldn't figure out either.
    "Options are for girls"

Adjust those eccentrics in all the way. The brake shoes may have to be "squared" up a bit. You might have to make sure the eccentrics are in all the way and the shoes are centered in the axle. It is a close fit. A little finesse is required on new shoes. They should not be pounded on. You are correct they should go back on without undue force. The slight miss alignment until the drum is on, is enough to grab the shoes and make it tough to get them on. There is so little motion in these, the shoes need to run a few thousands from the drum. Any miss alignment can make it tough to assemble.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 12-11-2020 at 11:01 AM.

Thanks Scoutingranch! We'll try it out-

Good stuff BEE MORE GILL---- I failed to mention, these are the 'old" shoes, not new pads----which make it more of a mystery----I think my only move at this point is to adjust the eccentrics to get some play and see if they go back together.

Stay tuned!

Good news----adjustment of the eccentrics worked to allow drums back on hubs----hard to figure since I never touched them.... but OK BY ME>
    Thanks!

It's the Aliens Again

Quote Originally Posted by WaybackWillys View Post
    Good news----adjustment of the eccentrics worked to allow drums back on hubs----hard to figure since I never touched them.... but OK BY ME>
    Thanks!
    The aliens get in there with their little three-fingered hands and move things.

They also move distributor timing and carburetor idle mixture settings!

(Or maybe it's just being a Jeep!)

That example helps us all to remember to look for simple things first ...

Eugene the Jeep from Popeye.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_the_Jeep

Now gm that is a great story!

I'm in favor of adjusting the eccentrics.. Is there a manual for that? Lol. Glad it worked out!