Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New member from New Hampshire

New member from New Hampshire

Hi everyone; I finally did it!
    I’ve wanted a Willys ever since I saw the adds in the back of the magazines for “ Jeep’s in a Crate for $50 “ back in the late Fifties. Guess what, I never did find one but I picked up a 1951 or 52 CJ-3A. She’s tired and she’s going to need work but she’s all mine.
    The serial number on the firewall reads 452-GB1 35236. Now the engine block casting block number is 638632 W6 A N1-CR-NI. There is a number stamped in front of the block number that is stamped 6-6
    Now the number I’m having problems with is the engine serial number. I’m reading it as M(B? )615000. Between the M (B?) and the numerals is a punch mark. What do I have? The guy I bought it from said the engine wouldn’t turn and he’d been soaking the four cylinders with kerosene with the kerosene going through #1,2 and 3. When I got it home I cleaned out number 4 and it looks like someone had used a hammer and block of wood to break it free.
    Sorry for being long winded but I’m excited to finally have one, it’ll be a work in progress. Thanks

Hello Brian, we love the jeep in a box! https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...ighlight=crate Take a lot of pictures of what you have. Take pictures is a broken record here. We always ask for hem. Take some close ups of the serial numbers you are speaking of. Take some shots of the motor apart.

Anything is possible in early CJ3's They are a crossover from the 2A and the MB. Many parts were being used up from Trucks and earlier Jeeps that were phased out as the wars "ended". Some will tell you everything was perfect and all the parts matched originally, this is far from true in the crossover and lean economy years. The Jeep Fest in Toledo has shed tremendous light on early Willys production as there are still a very few left who actually worked there in the 40's an 50's. Some neat stories are heard in the parking lots and show floors. Those fellow's have the last of the history with them. You will find a lot of info here on the Tech pages.

https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...res-amp-Models
    Last edited by bmorgil; 12-15-2020 at 07:43 AM.

Welcome BrianAnthony,

A $50 Crate of Jeep would be nice to stumble across, (there are still rumors that swirl around that there are still a few in a warehouse that are awaiting discovery) but I'm fairly certain that the rumors are just that.

Bmorgil has already welcomed you with the Jeep restorers motto.... Never say Willys never did anything. Records were atrocious, and models blended from one year to a next until the surplus of parts were consumed. In short, you could own a wagon that was delivered two years after the official end of the model year was over.

I needs pictures...
    "Options are for girls"

Serial Number

Quote Originally Posted by BrianAnthony View Post
    The serial number on the firewall reads 452-GB1 35236.

According to our most reliable serial number list, 452 GB1 was the serial prefix for the 1952 CJ 3 The serial sequence started at 10001 and ran through 38652 for a total of 29652 vehicles. This makes your CJ a late 52 production vehicle. In '53 the prefix went to 453 and in 51 it was 451, so that pretty well ties down the year of manufacture.

The engine number on the water pump boss is the number that matters most.

Gotta have pictures though ...

You will get a lot of help as I did from the experts here for your Jeep. Keep us posted.

If I could figure out how to load pictures I would. Let me try to figure this out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “ You have to go out,
    You don’t have to come back “
    Keeper Patrick Etheridge, 1899
    United States Lifesaving Service

F96E2E93-3402-4ECF-A245-D92E7591EDD3.jpg25B76887-B344-49BE-8718-9C424DF2D43A.jpgI hope this works, I’ll give it a try
    As you can see the only number on the boss is the number 2. Anything else maybe ground off?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BrianAnthony; 12-15-2020 at 09:12 PM.
    “ You have to go out,

3876F083-CAAD-4F3E-949F-AC2C86A78732.jpg
    LarrBeard; the only stamp on the boss is the number 2; the rest ground off?
    The engine serial number begins with the letter M then maybe the letter B?
    9E536782-889B-41AB-B30E-323E4450D1B8.jpg
    Last edited by BrianAnthony; 12-15-2020 at 09:25 PM.
    “ You have to go out,

“ You have to go out,