Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New member from New Hampshire

That is a great start! Nice Jeep. The motor looks good from over here! Seriously at first glance I like it. The studs are still there. Those are usually discarded (wrongly) the first time someone tears into it. That is usually a path to trouble. Yours looks good. The bores look like they are not to bad, nothing a bore job wont fix. The valves look like they are collecting soot, a good thing as opposed to steam cleaned or burned up. It looks like it was running when it was put down. I think it will be a good one. It looks like they cracked that piston. That will cause it to expand and get caught in the bore even worse. At this point I would pull the motor and drive it back up and out the top. I wouldn't get to brutal with it. It looks to good to risk damage to the block. Over bore max is .080" You would hate to put a deep scratch in that cylinder.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 12-16-2020 at 01:20 PM.

Thanks for getting back to me on the engine. The guy I bought it from said he was told it was running when it was parked. He bought several weeks ago and it was delivered to him on a ramp truck. He put a battery in it and fueled it up. When he went to start it the engine went clunk. He pulled the starter and the flywheel wouldn’t move. He pulled the head and put kerosene in the cylinders and number 4 did not seep down. He told me he was going to try and tow it and pop the clutch but the transmission is stuck in neutral. I’m fortunate there as friend of mine has a 1954 Jeep truck that he just finished rebuilding the T90 transmission and told me he would help me figure out what’s going on with it.

I know I might have bought a pig in a poke but I’m in this for the long haul. What I’d like to do is pull the engine and put the Jeep outside for the winter covered with a tarp. Hopefully come spring I can pull the body off and start from the ground up and get it back to running condition.

Would anyone have any ideas on the age of the motor based on the serial numbers? In front of the number is stamped 6-6 then M?615000. Thanks again for all your help guys.3503DAE4-6876-455D-8354-6A3E21560084.jpg
    6312CCC6-42E2-4C85-BD83-D9477848F147.jpg
    “ You have to go out,
    You don’t have to come back “
    Keeper Patrick Etheridge, 1899
    United States Lifesaving Service

Sounds like you have a plan. I was going to suggest trying to rock it back in forth with it in high gear to get that last piston moving, but the stuck in neutral thing cancelled that. You have a lot to do there but you can get it done.

At this point I would suspect it is the original motor until proven otherwise. The number stamped by hand in the block right behind the water pump, is where the factory put the serial number of the vehicle it was put in. The number usually matches the serial number of the vehicle. There are exceptions to say the least. Some were not stamped at all for reasons that were production related. Some were removed from assembled vehicles that were not sold. Some were factory rebuilt. If during any rebuild the deck was milled the numbers will be milled off. Because the studs are still in yours, I would expect a number right behind the water pump on the deck surface. It should be 2 letters followed by six numbers. I think that is the "2" you have a photo of. I would say it doesn't look milled off but who knows! The "2" is odd.

The picture you have of the side boss looks like it begins with a MB. That would indicate it was destined or it was at one time in an MB. However, It is also very possible it was assembled for a military contract then "repurposed" because of the "wars" ending. As the old timers will tell you in the early 50's the plant was full of surplus Military and Civilian vehicles.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 12-16-2020 at 01:51 PM.

The fact that there is no number there hints that the head has been planed at one time or another. If someone had a warped head, they might have faced off both sides to true it up.

"2" might mean .020 planed off, but ????.

I missed the photo of the "MB" number. On my F-134 the original engine number is gone, but a new number was stamped on a boss by the exhaust manifold. I'd vote for that being a restamp of the original engine number as well.

It looks like a typical starting point for a project. Don't lose heart and keep us informed. We can cheer for victories and sympathize for defeats.
    Last edited by LarrBeard; 12-16-2020 at 06:46 PM.

Man what a jeep! Will love watching the progress

More from New Hampshire CJ-3A

Hi guys, here’s the latest about my tired 1952. As I mentioned earlier #3 and #4 cylinders have been beaten in to free up the engine. I have a chance to pick up a engine and transmission out of a Jeep that was driven into this guys shop, shut off then had the engine and transmission removed from the Jeep and stored in the back of the shop. It’s taking up room in Bobs shop and he wants to sell it. What do you think? Here’s some pictures ( I hope )
    14D39191-B11E-4472-9FC0-D07279637DB6.jpg
    715BE8E0-05F0-4AAA-8673-9975930AE109.jpg
    C304E7C5-A1AE-4D01-925C-C09618972447.jpg
    9D4D7883-D156-4C53-8D32-9B4E7FEAEF9B.jpg
    95A523B6-C2CC-47A4-9A46-7C7BC1F8FBF4.jpg
    “ You have to go out,

And 1 more

Here’s a picture of the engine
    431DDEFE-1BE0-4516-911C-03EC6A502B26.jpg
    Thanks, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    “ You have to go out,

If the price is reasonable and you have a place to store it - grab it! In a year you don't want to say;"I wish I had ... ".

The stamping on the water pump boss looks like it has been planed off and overstamped at some time.

If the first engine is rebuildable, this is a stock for those pieces and parts that turn out to be missing or can't be salvaged. L-134's are not rare by any means, but there aren't any more being built.

You got me... Here it is from ma google:

The United States Life-Saving Service[1] was a United States government agency that grew out of private and local humanitarian efforts to save the lives of shipwrecked mariners and passengers. It began in 1848 and ultimately merged with the Revenue Cutter Service to form the United States Coast Guard in 1915."