Thread: DJ3A 12v Wiper issues

DJ3A 12v Wiper issues

Okay, since I can't upload my MP4, I'll have to explain.
    The photo will have to do.
    Help me out if you've had this situation and worked your way out of it.

Explainer:
    I bought two 12v electric wiper motors from Speedway Motors and a dual motor switch.
    I successfully wired them in according to their directions and got them running without a hitch- BUT ONE BIG ONE.

Sitting in the driver seat, the DS wiper motor starts and recycles just fine- that is, it "parks" when shut off at the bottom of the windshield in a horizontal position.
    No worries there.

The PASSENGER side however has to start at a 1 o'clock position to sweep through to the bottom of the windshield, and when it "parks", it returns to that 1 o'clock position.

ISSUE:
    The DJ3A has the motors mounted at the BOTTOM of the windshield.
    I want that passenger side wiper to "Park" at the 9 o'clock position so it it out of the path of vision and looks neater.
    (so it sweeps just the opposite way of the DS wiper)
    Simple, RIGHT?
    NOT.
    I think there should be either a let and right motor, or a way to rewire or flip a cam so that the passenger side wiper "parks" in the 9 o'clock position.
    Is that too much to ask?
    Speedway is mum about this.
    ANYONE with the solution, please chime in.
    Don
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good luck with your solution. Wipers are up next for my build so I'll be watching with interest...

Speedway motors told me to rotate the motor until it wiped properly. They are full of SH*T- it doesn't work. The motor needs to reverse itself when it actually parks, and they should synchronize. That's the way I see it. I'll work on this and keep you posted.

I had one M38 that had electric wipers already installed when purchased. When picking it up and hauling it across country, I folded down the windshield to reduce drag. The wipers that were installed were not trimmed down, so there was the full length stud sticking out through the bottom of the windshield, and would contact the hood when the windshield was lowered. To get it home I removed the wiper motors. Long story short, those particular wiper motors were set up to were you could place the wiper arm anywhere on the spline you needed for the correct angle and park position you needed. To clarify, you would like to reverse the direction of the wiper motor to allow more sweep from the center out, (i.e. both wipers point toward each other then sweep out)?

The two pictures added are of two different styles of wiper configuration. The wagon was set up where both wipers worked opposite of each other, starting from the center and travelling away from each other . The M38 had the electric motors that had a short sweep, so they sat at a straight blade angle. The particular electric motors were a universal fit cheap motor set up where both motors were individual switched at the motor, so it wasn't a great set up. The wagon was a cable and pulley set up to where you had one central motor.

I will have to look up the specs on the one from Speedway to see how it is configured to answer your question properly.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 12-16-2020 at 02:08 PM.

Just bought a new motor because the passenger side one would not park when the switch was turned off, just stop where it was.
    So I thought maybe the park feature was broken.
    I hooked up the wiring, again by Speedway's recommendation, and got the same thing. Now the new motor will not park either. It just stops where it wants to.
    I even hooked it up by itself. At first it parked- again in the 1 o'clock position, then it began just stopping when the switch was turned to the off position.
    Wired "S" to the switch (B), 1234 to a ground on a dual switch, and + directly to the motors.
    I swear I'm going nuts.
    At this point I may go back to the old motors with the switches on the motor so I can just move on.
    GMWillys, I did look at your Wagoneer and your CJ. The CJ looks like they park the way mine is happening now.
    I'd like them to park like the Wagoneer.
    Looks like this one beat me so far.
    Thoughts?
    I wonder if grounding the two together might sync them. I'll have to put a breaker between them to test that.
    Last edited by cahaldo; 12-27-2020 at 02:42 PM.

"Just bought a new motor because the passenger side one would not park when the switch was turned off, just stop where it was."

It's those new-fangled 12-volt electric thingies. The old vacuum wipers on the '48 don't have that problem.

Of course they don't wipe all that well - but they park OK. Unless they droop. Like the driver side.

You're breaking new ground here, so let us know what you find.

Frustrating wipers

[QUOTE=LarrBeard;15123]"Just bought a new motor because the passenger side one would not park when the switch was turned off, just stop where it was."

I'm looking at Speedway's catalog. What is their part number?

I don’t know just which wiper motor you may have, but from the two Speedway catalog descriptions, only the stainless steel motors have the self park feature. As I look at various hook-up diagrams, the motor needs 12-volts applied at all times and the high-low-park switching is done in the return lead. If you turn off 12-volts to the motor, it will stop wherever it is in its’ 90-degree sweep.

Info - Plain Black Wiper
    The compact, self-contained windshield wiper motor allows you the freedom to install it the way you see fit and not be limited to where and how the windshield wiper motor can be mounted in your project. Wiper motor features a built-in switch (with built-in home/stop location), 90-degree sweep, and a stout 12-volt motor.

Info - Stainless Steel Wiper
    The compact, self-contained windshield wiper motor allows you the freedom to install it the way you see fit and not be limited to where and how the windshield wiper motor can be mounted in your project. Wiper motor features a 90-degree sweep with self-park function and a stout 12-volt motor.

12-Volt Wiper Wiring -Try This

OK. let's try this to close out 2020;

A. You need the stainless version of the motor. The other universal version does not seem to have an autopark when you control it from an external switch.

B. I'd suggest you use the single wiper switch. You want both wipers to run at the same time I'd guess. Stay simple

C. Here is a wiring diagram - you may have already tried this, if so I apologize, The switch is just an ON-OFF switch in this application, so if you have the stainless wipers you can just connect the B terminal to ground to test the idea.

D. You can take power directly from the battery, the Accessory terminal of the ignition switch or the Ignition terminal if you have installed a three-way ignition switch.

E. I'd fuse it with a 4 or 5-amp fuse, Speedway recommends a 2-amp fuse for a single wiper, so the pair need a bit heavier fuse.

Let us know how this turns out. Happy 2021!

Larry, you are all over that! That information will apply to a lot of projects using those wipers. Good stuff man.

cahaldo, let us know what you do.