Thread: 1960 CJ5 Won’t Start

1960 CJ5 Won’t Start

Hey guys, I just replaced the rotor, coil, condensor, points, plug wires, and plugs on my 60’ CJ5. It was running before I did all of this but wasn’t running well. I’m getting fuel to the carb so I’m pretty sure that’s not the issue. I never messed with the timing. Does anyone have an idea what I should do next to get it to start again?

Cw, it is always best to start with the basics. The assumption here is the fuel is good. Water in the fuel can prevent even ether from lighting. Check for fuel in the float bowl by working the throttle and watching for fuel to squirt from the accelerator pump in the carb throat. Pull a spark plug and ground it. Check for spark at the plug. Check the timing with a light bulb or ohm meter across the points. Finally check for compression. If the compression is good the only thing left is the valve timing. If you have fuel and spark at the right time, correct valve timing and the compression is enough, it will start. You just need to find out which one you are missing.

Do you have the service manual? It will walk you right through the checks.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 12-22-2020 at 05:50 PM.

Thanks, I don’t have the manual but I think the next step for me to take is the timing and the carburetor. I have 120 psi at all the cylinders. The carb seems ok so the timing looks more and more to be the culprit.

What makes you think the timing would have gotten off?

An issue that occurs on older classics with points and rotating parts in the timing advance mechanism. As the point gap decreases when the rubbing block wears, the timing retards. When the gap is large the timing advances. As the distributor parts wear the timing also changes. As the timing gears/chain wears the timing changes. Slightly changes.

On modern cars the timing seldom changes once set, by much. On our classics the timing (once initially set) is a "final tuning process" to compensate for point gap and system wear. I think Mark is saying if its way off something must have happened. However you did say it was barely running before? You might be getting down to the "Root Cause" of your problem. Good luck, keep us posted. It will be interesting what you find. There isn't much there to go wrong. No computer thank God! You'll find it.

Way back I put a set of points in a combine with a six cylinder Ford. It was running, just wanted to make it run better. It wouldn't start with the new points. I think it was my dad who told me to take my handkerchief and open the points and pull the cloth through the points. It started right up.

Points can be fussy!

Well that’s part of the issue..lol. I can’t figure out what would’ve knocked the timing off but it’s looking like it is. I just took the carb off and gave it a good cleaning (definitely needed). I’ll look at the timing now. I think I’m going to have to put my pride to the side and get it in a shop..lol.

I actually tried that very trick!