Thread: Distributor is stuck in block. Help!

Distributor is stuck in block. Help!

I have a replacement distributor to put in my 1952 CJ3A with the flat head engine. I have taken the bolt off the distributor that connects to the block and i cant seem to get it out. I've tried beatin on it, prying etc. Am i missing something or is it just seized up?

Spray some good penetrating oil around it and be patient. Mine was stuck and I did that and then put a chain wrench around the distributor housing and tried bumping it back and forth. Trying to get it to rotate a little I think is easier than just brute pulling and prying. It might take some time, but you don't want to break it off.

I agree with Mark. This is a VERY common issue on these. Penetrating oil and time. Mark's suggestion is the way to go, a little back and forth gradually trying to get it to rotate free. Then pulling up as you rotate it back and forth. It will come out. If you have a heat gun it can help a lot. Get the block good and hot around the distributor. The idea is if you can get the block to expand ever so slightly, it will break the rust free. Heat will also help the penetrating oil get down in there.