Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 55 CJ5 Battery Issues - need your help

If you have nothing in the circuit like a radio for instance that might have a capacitor in it, the only place I can think of for a significant leak would be in the charging circuit. In an alternator it is usually leaking diodes in the Alternator. In a generator it is usually leakage in the regulator. Leave the battery hooked up and disconnect the power to the Alternator/regulator circuit. Put your multi meter in there on milliamps and see if you have current draw with the charging circuit disconnected.

Sneaky Path

Quote Originally Posted by okiemark View Post
    I have a similar issue. My battery will run down over a few days. Now when I shut it off, I take the ground cable off of the battery. I can rub it on the terminal and see the very slightest spark. Everything on it is new with the exception of the ignition switch. When I get time I'm going to check out the switch to see if it is bleeding some current through that switch.
    Yep, that little spark is a sure sign of a sneak path load somewhere. The M38 series with the24-volt systems are notorious for developing sneak path discharge issues.

The easiest thing to check first was the alternator so I unhooked it and still a draw. And I mean a draw so small you have to turn out the lights and still barely see it, but enough to run down the battery over a weeks time. In the mean time, I just pull the ground cable off the battery when I'm not using it.

Mark, see if there is a very small amount of voltage at the + on the coil. Like millivolts.

I love that we're all working on the same stuff! Unfortunately, the car is covered in snow (no garage) and I won't be able to dig into to some of these options until it melts/start to warm up. I'll follow up when that happens + when I've tried some of this stuff.

Thank you again to everyone who's reached out - I'm pumped to learn and get my hands dirty, I just wish I had a damn garage.

Patience Grasshopper... the first requirement for a Jeep Project.