Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 55 CJ5 Battery Issues - need your help

Okay - so we tinkered further. Bought a new coil and there's healthy spark so we can eliminate the resistor as the problem. Also re-tested the compression for each of the four cylinders, here were the results of the highest compression both before and after I added a dab of oil: 55 to 75; 60 to 80; 60 to 90, 60 to 100.

We also ruled out that there is a draw on the battery.

In chatting through this with my neighbor, who is actually a car guy, our hypothesis is now that the engine is tired. In other words, do you think the fix here is a new engine block? If so, that's too bad because it likely means I bought a lemon (only bought this last July).

If not any other ideas for what we could eliminate/test for? She's a beaut, but I don't have the time, skills or knowledge for a full engine replace.

Those are good enough to start it on the compression TW. Will it at least fire with a shot of ether? If it wont ignite ether, are you sure there is spark at the plug? You have enough compression to start it with a shot of ether that's for sure. If there is old fuel in it, I have seen gasoline get so bad it will not light with a match. Once everything volatilizes that can evaporate out, there is nothing flammable left. I have seen gas this bad "put the fire out" even with ether. Make sure the carb and tank are drained of any potential bad gas or water. That thing should fire on a shot of ether.

I think if you can get it to fire and warm up, it might just seal up pretty good on the compression. As I said earlier, you cannot rely solely on the compression numbers on a cold engine. The oil helps with the loose fit of a cold piston. It is not yet an indicator of bad rings and/or a worn cylinder.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 04-24-2021 at 12:28 PM.

Put some gas in it! Seriously though, if you have good spark but no fire then it is a fuel problem. Possibly a timing or firing order issue but those tend to fire eventually (sometimes lighting the carb on fire). One with the timing 180 degrees out may not fire. I haven’t seen that on these engines but I broke a starter on a different engine that fired 180 out. It had to be cranked a lot before it fired.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

As you are pointing out, it is important to verify the facts. You need to check and verify spark at the correct time. If there is compression, fuel and spark at the correct time, it will fire. If you are sure of the spark, you have verified some fair compression, and you squirt in some ether, it will fire. If it fires but won't keep running, the search is on for the fuel issue. Keep on it Jeff, you'll get it going! Going back to the basics on these is the way to go.