Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New member from Maryland...soon

Some VERY nice examples and some excellent advice! What is up with all of the M38-A1s I'm seeing? Are they a challenge? I keep seeing them as I look for a nice flat fender project.

I especially like the chic magnet potential
    Last edited by livingthepast; 01-22-2021 at 12:13 PM.

M38A1 Restoration

Quote Originally Posted by livingthepast View Post
    Some VERY nice examples and some excellent advice! What is up with all of the M38-A1s I'm seeing? Are they a challenge? I keep seeing them as I look for a nice flat fender project.

I especially like the chic magnet potential
    M38A1's present more of a challenge than the civilian Jeeps. First of all, they are 24-volt electrical systems with all of the wires shielded and tied together with quick disconnect plugs and sockets. Their other feature that bothers folks is the fording kit that has a lot of metal lines running all over the vehicle to pull a vacuum on things to keep water out.

Most folks have already just taken the fording kits off or selectively disabled them. The real thing I think you need to look out for is a vehicle that someone started a 12-volt conversion on and then jack-legged it together, It gets into a lot more than batteries, alternator/generator, voltage regulator starter - there are gauges and sensors that don't work right on 12-volts. Mechanically they are not a lot different than a CJ-5 with the F-134 engine.

Our friend, the late Ira Jones, USMC-Ret, restored his M38A1 Magoo as a 24-volt vehicle, but he did not restore the fording feature. He told us he drove an M38A1 into the South China Sea once and he didn't plan on getting that deep in water again. We never got the whole story.

I'm not a little Jeep authority, so the other guys may have more info for you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey GM that's some fresh paint! Except you left that Jeep part unpainted. What does that thing look like with painted wheels and no paint anywhere else? Pictures man!

Patience grasshopper. Life is a little hectic these days. When I get them all done I'll update the parts runner thread.

Everything has gone in a cycle with Jeeps, much like other vintage 4X4s. Up until around 2010, you could buy a flat fender for under $1,000 all day long. The M38A1s and CJ3Bs are coming into popularity now, along with the early Cj5s. Don't get me started on the price tags on anything International or Bronco.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    Patience grasshopper. Life is a little hectic these days. When I get them all done I'll update the parts runner thread.

Everything has gone in a cycle with Jeeps, much like other vintage 4X4s. Up until around 2010, you could buy a flat fender for under $1,000 all day long. The M38A1s and CJ3Bs are coming into popularity now, along with the early Cj5s. Don't get me started on the price tags on anything International or Bronco.
    That's no lie GM, I was watching Mecum Auction last weekend and a 74 Bronco came across the block and the bidding stopped at $70,000.00 and went back to the owner bc it didn't meet the reserve and I about fell out of the recliner.
    Last edited by TJones; 01-23-2021 at 07:52 AM.

$70,000?!? OK why? I mean I like them but for $70K I am runnin' with the money from the fool! I cant believe the guy didn't take it.

It looks like Grandpa Larry missed the dig a few posts back, or he is lying in the weeds waiting. We will just have to turn it up so he can hear us.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    $70,000?!? OK why? I mean I like them but for $70K I am runnin' with the money from the fool! I cant believe the guy didn't take it.

It looks like Grandpa Larry missed the dig a few posts back, or he is lying in the weeds waiting. We will just have to turn it up so he can hear us.
    It was NICE for sure but I about s(^t when it took off like it did plus they never did say what the reserve was, makes you kinda want to look around for a old style Bronco for the next project.

I still have my heart set on a pickup like LarrBeards, that Baby is SHARP!!!!!

I am with you Bob on turning up the volume so he can hear us
    Last edited by TJones; 01-23-2021 at 10:16 AM.

Paybacks

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post

GrandPa Larry didn't miss anything:

A. That wasn't "GrandMa Larry" in those pictures ... I keep telling you guys that a truck is a chick magnet - chicks of all ages!

B. I wasn't asleep or "deef" - paybacks are certain ... just laying low and waitin'

Stay safe and stay well y'all.

I think sometimes they send something across the stage to set market price and/or insurance valuation.who knowsnhow much these things are worth unless you sell one? Like maybe the guy did never intend to sell. What amazes me is somebody's would buy an auction car for that price. With all that can go sideways, I would love to buy a finished vehicle, but would have to be purchasing a working vehicle.

ltp keep counting those days down. Let us know when you spot that Jeep. If you find one close to northwest Ohio, I could take a look if it's not to far away. Its safe, I am not allowed to bring anything... home.

LarrBeard, I think that is exactly what TJ and I were trying to say.... that isn't Grandma LarrBeard is it now.......
    Last edited by bmorgil; 01-23-2021 at 05:04 PM.