Thread: Project started

Project started

Hi guys,I am in my third month part time motir pool ww2 jeep restoration project.
    Here are a few pictures with my both my sons.

I have a question about the engine.
    It has a serial number GPW 124536 on top between the block and the water pump. Is it correct for a ww2 engine to have a serial number there?
    The engine is chain driven, I am the third owner since the war and I have paperwort with this serial # Written on the paper from the custom officer in 1952.

I need some knowledge here.

Thank you for your help

I will send more pictures as work progress.

StephaneIMG_3100.jpg

I have hard time showing my pictures sorry hers another try.
    From my motor pool Jeep.IMG_2031.jpgIMG_2951.jpgIMG_3018.jpgIMG_3095.jpgIMG_3097.jpg

Here more pictures of the serial and the casting marks on the block.
    Can you tel me if it is a war time engine and head?
    The head has JEEP on it but no Willys.
    IMG_3101.jpgIMG_3103.jpgIMG_3100.jpgIMG_3096.jpg

Oh man that whole deal looks great son's and all! gm will stop by shortly and fill you in on those numbers I am sure.

GPW Engine Vintage

AS I poked around on other sources, the general opinion of where a GPW serial number should be located is this:

The GPW engine is stamped with the serial number in this format: GPW123456. This stamping can be found on a rounded boss that is on the right side of the engine near the front of the block just below the head. It is under the oil filter canister. On GPWs, this number should exactly match both the data plate and frame numbers if the original engine is still in the vehicle.

It appears that someone stamped this number on the water pump boss some time after the engine was built. This is where civilian L-134 engines had their serial number stamped, but those numbers were often lost when the head was planed to correct warp. Check the picture and see if there is a number stamped in the area shown.

The chain drive for the camshaft was used for the MB, GPW and CJ 2B Jeeps. Chain drive would be proper for a WWII engine, but all chain drive engines are not WWII vintage.

As for the cylinder head, a head with "JEEP" cast in it would not be the proper head for a GPW. GPW engines have a script "f" cast in them around the oil filter canister mount.

There is a high probability that this is a later engine, possibly from a CJ2, but since you have paperwork from 1952 with the GPW serial number on it, you can show that this engine has had a long history with the rest of the vehicle.

Let us know how the project goes as you continue. A GPW, even with a later engine, is a vehicle that all of us would be proud to be associated with.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The engine itself looks to be a GPW block with a civilian head with the date code of 6-1948 cast in the front corner. The engine may not have been through a reset/overhaul through the government. If it was, there would be a data plate fastened on the side of the block giving cylinder dimensions, and crank journal size.

Looks like you are getting some good help there.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 01-24-2021 at 12:31 PM.

Thanks to you guys
    I realy do apreciate.
    The engine was reconditioned in 1969-1970 so it make sense that the head would have been changed then.
    The Jeep was bought in Antwerp in bellgian in 1949 from a war surplus dealer so they might have used 1948 parts alsow. We will never know. It ad to the storry.
    I will keep it that way so it is part of the hystory.

Many thanks.
    Stephane

Great looking project!

Hi guys
    I beleve my engine is an early civilian engine.
    Some one must have stamped the GPW # after
    I am a bit disapointed but what can I do?
    Is it often the case having a WW2 Jeep with a CJ engine?
    I will have to find a WW2 engine in the future. Once I am done with the rebuilt and if I need another projct later in life I guess it will be it.
    Never know.
    Here are a few pictures where I am nowIMG_3121.jpgIMG_3020.jpgIMG_3091.jpg