Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the Forum

New to the Forum

Hello everyone My name is Joey and currently in Texas. I am new to the forum and wanted to go ahead and introduce myself. I have just recently purchased a 1946 Willys CJ2A and am very anxious to get started on this project. There are many pluses to this CJ and I don't believe there will be too much to get him at least back on the road. Of course there are several things that I want to do to him but they will not hold up the progress per se. I have had a couple of TJs over the last few years but my real love comes from the stories I heard from my grandfather of his dad's 1949 CJ. So I have always wanted this to be one of the first vehicles I could really get my hands on and bring back to life. I would not put myself in any high category as far as expertise is concerned but I have turned some wrenches with my grandfather. I look forward to speaking with all of you and the lessons I can learn.
    Last edited by JoeyD; 01-25-2021 at 08:45 PM.

Welcome joeyD!

It's nice to have another 2A owner on board! Feel free to ask any questions that come to mind, no question is too small. We are Happy to help. Please post some pictures of your new steed.

Welcome joeyD,
    As gm said there are no questions you can’t ask, there are 3-4 guys on here that will be able to answer anything you throw out there from electrical to engines to driveline to year, make and model. If they don’t have a immediate answer they will dig into it and have one within a day.
    As always please post some pictures of your new found love!!!
    Last edited by TJones; 01-26-2021 at 05:57 AM.

Welcome joeyD, we live for your pictures! You will be an official Jeep mechanic soon.

Welcome! So does he have a name yet?

Thanks to everyone for the replies and I am sure there will be plenty of questions. I have added some pics from the day it was purchased and plan to take more as the build develops. As you can see it is far from stock, but I believe there is a good mix of old and new. As additions and changes happen I plan to bring back some of its old glory and only accent it with some upgrades. 5JeepsAz, I have tossed some things around as for a name but I don't think anything has really stuck in my head yet. As he starts to take shape I think it will hit me.

Front.jpgcab.jpgdriver.jpgpassenger.jpgrear.jpg

Wow-this is going to be a fun resto! Looking forward to your build

As your project takes shape, the name will come to you. Our '46 is a conglomeration of vintage fixes, and was a cobbled up pile of frame repairs, so the term Heep kept coming up. So needless to say, the term stuck.

I don't think I have ever seen the cage constructed like yours is. It makes sense to run it down through the cowl to offer more knee room when getting in and out, but now you are limited on making a fixed windshield, if you so choose to run one. Fit, form, and function wise, it was a good plan in my opinion.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gmwillys; 01-31-2021 at 03:19 AM.

That is some very nice work on that cage! All the tubing work looks very good. A pro did that one. It is certainly set up to "Rumble in the Rocks". You can go a lot of directions with that one.

@gmwillys The difficulty of determining how to run a windshield was the first thing I thought when I began thinking about taking this thing down the road. I am sure it will take some fabrication but I know we can get it done. That cage was certainly done right and I like how it brings some new to the old. I like how you came up with that name and as you said before I am sure it will come to us. Thanks for the pics of your build as well.

@bmorgil, you are correct on the abilities it would have in the rocks. Not sure I would have originally went that way, but I think it gives me some options when it comes to covering him.