Thread: Help!!!

Unhappy Help!!!

I have a 1953 Jeep Cj3b took the starter off and the solenoid just broke apart. I can not find one that has the plunger style solenoid to replace it. Any help with this???????

Venturi, that is a weird one. That looks like a 6 volt foot actuated over running clutch starter. The "solenoid" looks to have been adapted to it to hook to where the foot lever linkage would be. If you look up a 1107906-R/B starter here https://www.willysjeepparts.com/Starter.htm I think you will see the starter sans the piggyback solenoid. I think that starter is a modified mechanical start. I have not seen that solenoid anywhere.

Some early 3B's came with a mechanical start. Some late 3A's came with a solenoid start. That setup I have not seen. As LarrBeard said never say Willys never, and what you have is what you have.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 01-26-2021 at 02:49 PM.

Venturi,

That is an unusual configuration of solenoid. I would take the solenoid off to see if there are any identifying markings or model numbers on it, or if you have an long established starter/electric motor shop near you, they may be able to get you the parts to replace it. It looks to me to be a Delco Remy early '50s Chevrolet starter.

I agree GM it definitely looks like a Delco.