Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NEW GUY - from Virginia with a 1954 CJ3B

It looks like someone spilled some beverages on the little fender step.

I have been doing a lot of research in order to develop a plan to rebuild the old 1954. Yesterday, I did a walk around and took a few pictures. It looks like it has the original "Carter YF" carburetor. I cleaned some over spray paint from the data plate on the passenger side fire wall and reveled the number. (454 GB2 20382). Lastly, I looked for the engine serial number. I cleaned the area the best I could with a rag but really couldn't find a number. It may be there but that will be for another day. I didn't take a picture but I believe the seats are original. They have black fabric paint on them but they are redish brown in color. It has a lot of rust popping through. The hat channels are almost all gone. So what should be my first couple step

Attachment 7596

20210209_131805.jpg

20210209_130525.jpg20210209_132104.jpg
    Last edited by AJ-MJ; 02-10-2021 at 07:00 PM.

What do you want to do with it AJ? The sky is the limit on these. What you do first depends on what you want to do with it first. You could drive it around and just keep it running or, a full restore. Anything in between is fun, as is a complete re-modification into something totally different.

Above all, have fun with it!

I agree with Bmorgil on the having fun part. Most half done projects that you see for sale are from folks that jumped in without a plan. The get overwhelmed then give up and sell it off for less than they have in it. Our 2A is a parts runner, and fun to drive around in. There are a lot of things that have been corrected over time and on a budget, but it has a long way to go to be considered a show vehicle. It's great to bomb through town, or run up and down the National forest roads close to the house. The tub is mediocre at best, the floors are patched, and one of the hat channels is replaced with a section of road grader cutting edge. It's safe enough to run around in, but someday will get the body yanked off for some metalwork. This is all while our wagon is torn apart awaiting some space of time where I can devote my attention to the metal work that it needs. Seems like a good reason to have two Heeps around.

Lastly, I looked for the engine serial number.

Look on the ledge just behind the water pump. If the block was planed off to level it, it may be gone.

In your last shot you are looking in the right place. you need to clean that spot down to clean metal. If it is still there as Larry said, that's the spot for the motor serial number.

For some reason I am having some problems loading pictures. (three tries) Thanks for the comments. I have a two car garage but we actually park cars in it. LOL Therefore, I would have to park my car outside for an extended period of time to work on the jeep. It will be a "BIG" commitment. That is a bit worrisome. I think i will start by trying to get it started.

My GMC learned early what it was like to live outside, while my CJ was in intensive care for an extended period! My wife's car on the other hand........

Here's a step through on posting pictures. Let me know if this procedure isn't working.

https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...re-in-a-thread
    Last edited by bmorgil; 02-11-2021 at 07:30 AM.

Posting Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post

Here's a step through on posting pictures. Let me know if this procedure isn't working.

https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...re-in-a-thread
    One more hint:

The newer phone cameras have very high resolution and pictures make a very large file. The KWAS website does a pretty good job of resizing large files, but on occasion I have to go online and use a photo resizer to get a picture down tothe size that it will post.

(The problem may also be in the email server as well...). I had to resize the new truck picture down to 67% to get it to post.

Get it Started ...

[QUOTE I think i will start by trying to get it started.[/QUOTE]

Some time ago we put together a set of "start-up best practices" to get an old engine started. I am away from my home computer right now and I can't find the document.

BMorgil, GMWillys - can you point this gentlemen to the Best Practices document?