Thread: Fuel Pump

Red face Fuel Pump

I have done some searching on this Forum and other places as well. I cannot find much information on this site about rebuilding fuel pumps or sources for rebuild kits or places to out sources the rebuild. When it comes to the fuel pump do most people rebuild their own old fuel pump or buy a new one? For those members that bought a new fuel pump did you go with a duel action or did you use a single function fuel pump and convert the windshield wipers to electric? Are most people keeping the glass bowl or going with the metal one? My first thought is to rebuild my old pump... BUT those electric wipers are sure enticing. Any thought, recommendations, suggestions or information would be appreciated.

AJ

AJ, I opted for a new one. It is a diaphragm style pump and the diaphragms are around. I had a bad experience with re manufacturing my water pump so I just went the new pump route. I used the new glass bowl single action from KW. I did have an issue with the pivot pin backing out and it had to be put back in and peened in place. It has worked well otherwise and I may never have known that happened as the pin stopped falling out when it hit the bolt head of the fuel pump bolt. I have that story in my post on my '50 somewhere.

I have vacuum wipers on the drivers side and a manual wiper on the passenger. I have the vacuum hooked up like the original except I go directly to the vacuum port on the rear of the intake and do not use anything else. I have a "fresh" wiper motor from the Wiper Man. It runs pretty darn fast without any help from a pump assist. It works at a normal speed at idle and pretty quickly at a high vacuum. It will stop dead if you floor it. That is when the assist from the fuel pump is required. If you are climbing a long grade in the rain visibility could be an issue! On mine however, with no top, doors or goggles it would make little difference if the wipers were running or not. Further, mine is not allowed out in the rain without a tent.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 01-30-2021 at 09:14 AM. Reason: spell check!

Fuel Pump; New vs. Rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by AJ-MJ View Post
    . I cannot find much information on this site about rebuilding fuel pumps or sources for rebuild kits or places to out sources the rebuild. When it comes to the fuel pump do most people rebuild their own old fuel pump or buy a new one? For those members that bought a new fuel pump did you go with a duel action or did you use a single function fuel pump and convert the windshield wipers to electric? Are most people keeping the glass bowl or going with the metal one? My first thought is to rebuild my old pump... BUT those electric wipers are sure enticing. Any thought, recommendations, suggestions or information would be appreciated. AJ
    I have to second BMorgil's comments. Just because you CAN rebuild something doesn't always mean that you should. If you have unlimited time, go ahead and try to rebuild it - but most of us had other things that needed to be done worse.

Just a note - many rebuilt/new fuel pumps will have a higher delivery pressure than the original. The carburetor on the F-134 in the truck couldn't handle the higher pressure and I ended up putting a little pressure regulator between the pump and carburetor. Several other guys have noted this as well. Don't forget to put a fuel filter between the pump and carburetor. Old Jeeps have crud issues that will clog up the carburetor if you are not careful.

The "double action" pumps are for wiper boost - that's your call. I left vacuum wipers on the truck, and although it is not allowed to play in the rain it has sneaked out once or twice and the old wipers do leave a lot to desire in a downpour.

Thanks!!
    Sounds like a great solution.

I appreciate your advice too LarrBeard. That is exactly what I need to know is how most folks resolve common problems. BUT DANG! I have got so much to learn!! Additionally, it looks like I need a bank loan and to get rid of my rain gear...
    Last edited by AJ-MJ; 01-30-2021 at 09:34 AM.

It kind of depends on how much use the wipers will get and what your terrain is. I used to own a Bronco with vacuum powered wipers as a daily driver. The dual purpose fuel pump went out and I opted for a straight fuel pump (couldn’t afford the “right” pump). Accelerate to shift, the wipers stopped. Climbing a hill, the wipers stopped. Pulling a trailer, the wipers only moved when I let off the gas. I installed a vacuum can and that helped quite a bit. If I still had that Bronco, I could sell it and buy a nice house or a piece of ground to hunt on. It’s funny how things work out.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

It's amazing isn't it 51, if you had that Bronco now! Who knew? If I had my ______ now... I tell ya I let a few good investments go early. Oh well this is how we learn.

AJ that duel action is a bit pricey. If you need the wipers however, it will pay off. On the other hand if you just want them to run nice for the show in the sunshine, they will work great with the vacuum from the motor alone.